News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD-45 wheels

Started by phillyreading, February 08, 2010, 02:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

I have an older SD-45 that has plastic wheels for the inner set of wheels, is there a replacement set of metal wheels that will go in place of these? These wheels don't have connection to a motor so there is no need of a gear needed.

Lee F.

Fred Brenek

If Bachmann isn't selling them separately, I've heard that the flanged wheelsets from dummy trucks have been used in place of the blind ones.  The wheels will need to be pulled from one side of the axle and then pressed back on the other locomotive.

I haven't done this and can't verify 100 percent that it works.  You will need to check that everything works on your own.

Fred

phillyreading

I took the wheels off of two dummy trucks, from an F-7, that I am not using, gear puller & a small screw did the job. Maybe I can return the gear puller and get my money back on the gear puller, it cost me $38.00 at Pep Boys. Napa didn't have one.
Now to try installing the wheels on the SD-45's.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Up-date; I have ground down the meatl wheelsets from the F-7 dummy unit and have installed the first one on my SD-45. Have yet to test it on the track, but everything looks good to go.
Grinding down sure took some time almost 25 minutes per wheel, not so sure about doing another set of wheels.
Any tips on filing or grinding down the metal wheels would be greatly appreciated! Currently I used an electric dremel tool with a grinding stone on it, my electric drill didn't get up to the same speed as my dremel tool motor did.

Lee F.

phillyreading

The cut down wheel set works but it is too much trouble to do any more.
If I leave the flange on the wheels it causes a derailment as the third wheel set is unflanged or I will need 072 track to run it on.
Guess I need to call Bachmann's parts number and see if they sell the wheels.

Lee F.