News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by GA Chuck, February 14, 2010, 03:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Thomas

Woody is exactly correct.  If you tell someone that "O" scale is twice as big as "HO," they will look at an "HO" item and visualize something twice as tall.  The difference is way more than that.  Just compare two similar buildings: an "HO" one and an "O" one.  The same thing for an "HO" std gauge boxcar and an "O" std guage boxcar.

You almost have to say: "The scale is twice as big, meaning it takes up four times the area and eight times the volume" for a newcomer to appreciate the difference.

This difference is extremely important to understand when planning an "O" or "On30" layout.

-JRT

NarrowMinded

JT, do they then think it is eight times taller based on woody's statement? NO they don't.
It is simple, if I am making a box for somebody they can call me and say make that box 1/2 scale, they will get a box that is 1/2 the original dimensions on all sides, if they were to instead call and tell me to make the box half the volume they could end up with a very short box but longer and wider or they could get a very deep box that is long and skinny. so to me it is easier to just use scale and be done with it when modeling, either way I have no more comment's because this is of no use to the new guy.

NM