News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-6-6-2 Review needed

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, May 01, 2007, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Jack;
You know, I like 'em both.  The Mantua unit reminds me of something that should be on the G&D Lines; or on the roster of Whit tower's "Alturas and Lone Pine".

Boy, talk about that!  I remember an article in 1966 MR on Whit's layout that really fired me up on modelling.  I was overseas at the time, so this hobby was rather impractical to have gotten started on then.

I installed the "Tsunami" decoders in all three-two bachmann, and one Mantua.  They all sound somewhat the same, but sooner or late, I will get good with this "CV" stuff, and THEN we'll boogie!!!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

Thanks for your thoughts. I called Micro-Mark yestiddy, 5/08/07 and was informed the sale of the USRA 2-6-6-2 goes to 6/12 (I think). So if anybody wants one, there it is.

Best Wishes, Jack

Ralph-On30

Mine arrived from Micro-Mark in great shape and time.   

Runs Great.   

But the tender will not stay on the track.   

Am using the last hole in the drawbar.   22r. track, plenty of slack with the wires.   

I think the front truck needs to be removed   and the hole needs to be reamed.   

As soon as my arthritic hands loosen up I will work on it.   

That's why I prefer On30, easier too see and work on.

Atlantic Central

Ralph,

The solution is simple - add some weight to the tender, about 2 oz.

Secondly, bend a small offset in the drawbar, just above the trailing truck, untill the drawbar is parallel to the track, rather than sloping down.

Do not inlarge the truck mounting hole, it will not help. But there may be small tabs on the truck bolster restricting its turning, remove them with an xacto knife.

These three adjustments should fix your derailing.

Sheldon

pdlethbridge

you could probably get lead sheets from a body shop. Remember lead sleds?

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Great tips and I will file them for the future!  Too, do you think reaming the tender trucks would make much of a difference?

Dear Paul,

I think I saw in Micro-Mark that they have 1/4 oz lead weights on a sheet with sticky backs for trimming models, airplanes, etc. Too, Rich Cormier suggested to put lead shot into small balloons before placing the weights where you want.  A good tip, don't you think?

Best Wishes,  Jack

Atlantic Central

Jack,

If you mean reaming the axle journals, DON"T! Bachmann tender trucks do not have tapered axles/journals, they are straight and reaming them will damage them.

Sheldon

Ralph-On30

Thanks for the advice.
The front truck does not swivel as free as it should.
Going to take it off and check the hole and the face of the mounting stud.
And will check the draw bar.
No I am not thinking of reaming the axles.
Adding weight will help, the tender is really light.

Lead Sleds?
Use to watch my Brother with the torch, the lead bar,
and the rasp working on his Rod.

SteamGene

You will probably have to cut the capacitors to add a decoder.  My 2-6-6-2s do a nice job of hauling drag freight. The first Spectrum steamer was the 2-8-0.  The 2-6-6-2 came after it, the USRA light Mountain, the Russian Decapod, and, I think, the Ten-wheeler.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

oldline1

paintjockey,

Adding a DCC decoder to the 2-6-6-2 tender will only take about 1 or 2 minutes. Turn the tender over, remove one screw just aft of the front truck, slide the top forward and lift off, pull the "plug" out of the receptical, stick the decoder plug in and repeat the process in reverse! It's really that simple.

Sound is a little more complicated but isn't rocket science. I've installed 6 Tsunamis in Spectrum and P2K engines with very little problem. Brass engines are a little more time consuming but not any more difficult.

Sound is one of the best advances in model railroading along with DCC as far as I'm concerned. A lot of folks get turned off because most people have the volume turned up so high. When running multiple engines it gets pretty annoying. I set mine so that I can barely hear them when over 3-4 feet away. The bell, steam release and pop valves can get on your nerves when set too high, I admit.

I guess I've been lucky with all my Spectrum steamers. I've had no shorting or derailment problems. I have 24"R code 83 Walthers flex track and use their #4 & #5 turnouts and #7.5 curved turnouts. I run my Russians, 2-8-0's, 2-8-2's & 2-6-6-2 with the tender in the first hole and they've never derailed.

Roger

r.cprmier

Roger;
I had coniption fits installing the first Tsunami decoder into that 2-6-6-2 tender!  I finally figured it out, and now it is pretty much "by the ripples" for everything with that particular tender.  One thing I do is to "invade" the coal area with part of the decoder, as ell as installing the speaker there.  I have to call Josh again, as I am getting lost wit hthe CVs to turn up volume.  (old man...computer dummified).  I didn't use a Vanderbilt on the articulateds, but did on my Santa Fes and a heavy mountain.  The Vanderbilt tender was a ticklish proposition with a standard decoder; I would not be too quick to install a tsunami in one.

Gene:  So far, I haven't had a hassle with the capacitors.  The first Santa Fe is a bit finnicky at times, but the second one is the charm.  I do think that some time I will pick up one of the Proto Santa Fe's (heavy), and do the "Pygmalion" thing with it too.
(You do remember "pygmal-aw fergit it, you probably do).

RIch

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Stephen Warrington

All I have found on Micro Mark are the N scale versions.

Stephen

Isambard

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on May 01, 2007, 08:10:21 PM
Think the title says it all.
Might some owners/operators of the Spectrum h.o USRA 2-6-6-2 give us a honest review of this engine.
Those who added decoders and or sound.....speak up.
Inquiring minds want to know ;D

My first HO 2-6-6-2 arrived from Micro-Mark last week (one of the last in stock). After a very short check using address 00 on DCC confirmed that it ran smoothly, I installed a Digitrax DH123PS decoder, a quick plug in. The printed circuit board in the tender is secured with only one small screw and no locating pins, so the mounting  is a bit loose and seems  improvised, however I decided it was not likely to be a problem in future. I then ran the loco for about 30 minutes on the club layout, at scale speeds from perhaps 1 mph to 35 mph, again very smooth running. The valve and rod motion on the two engines is a joy to watch, the overall detail is very good, the flying pumps make for an interesting front end.
After lettering the loco will join the Grizzly Northern (GNRy) as Number 8002 and will be known as the "Monashee" type, after the mountain range through which the Grizzly Northern runs. I will also add weights to the tender as recommended by another member of this forum.
:)

ICRR

Lanny,
    I'll be very interested to see what you do to create your IC mallet. I've been doing some research on these going back to their Central of Georgia days. I have two of the 2-6-6-2s myself with the same intention. I plan on using sand domes from the 2-8-0s which need to have their sand domes modified also.
The cab work should be fairly straightforward using styrene.  I'm not sure yet whether or not I will leave the headlight on the pilot or move it to the smoke box front as the IC did.

George Waltershausen

jsmvmd

Dear Stephen,

Micro-Mark is sold out. The Mantua version with or without tender looks to me to be a good substitute, according to Rich's comments.  Looks like I will be thinking about the Mantua!

Best Wishes,

Jack