News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-6-6-2 Review needed

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, May 01, 2007, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Think the title says it all.
Might some owners/operators of the Spectrum h.o USRA 2-6-6-2 give us a honest review of this engine.
Those who added decoders and or sound.....speak up.
Inquiring minds want to know ;D
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

I just bought a third, undecorated, to join the VT&P fleet.  I will add DCC sound to it.  It is a good engine.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

I own two of these beasties, and do like them.  It was pretty straightfoward to install Tsunami decoders in them, albiet one must really plan out this project BEORE one starts it.  I used a method I mentioned earlier; which is to drill a series of holes in the coal pile, and cover it with some kind of screening material-I have graduated to pantyhose-black pantyhose...and coat the whole with glue and sprinkle coal over it to your satisfaction.  The speaker goes under that mess. 
In sealing off the speaker, I had to let some of the decoder into that compartment because of space constraints, but it did work. 
About the only problem i had was a broken wire on the newest one, which let the sound happen, but no engine movement.  Again, a relatively easy fix.  I found that (with Josh's help-Tony's trains) working in the CVs to my liking was OK; although I am not too crazy about the whistle variety.  I used three Tsunamis so far; two USRA 2-6-6-2s, and one Mantua logging 2-6-6-2.  They all have that characteristic in and out of syncopation business programmed.  An articulated would sound strange any other way.
All in all, the engines have a great response, look great, and run smoothly.  I do not run an articulated or a drag engine over 15MPH anyway.   Crawling over a grade crossing with a string lf cement hoppers in tow is mighty impressive, if I do say so m'self...
I will send you a pic of the first engine.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

I have three, two for my Atlantic Central on which I have replaced the tenders with  the long vanderbilt.

The other is a C&O and is stock. Sorry no sound or DCC here, but all three are great runners and reasonable pullers.

Sheldon

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: r.cprmier on May 01, 2007, 10:11:58 PM
I own two of these beasties, and do like them.  It was pretty straightfoward to install Tsunami decoders in them, albiet one must really plan out this project BEORE one starts it.  I used a method I mentioned earlier; which is to drill a series of holes in the coal pile, and cover it with some kind of screening material-I have graduated to pantyhose-black pantyhose...and coat the whole with glue and sprinkle coal over it to your satisfaction.  The speaker goes under that mess. 
In sealing off the speaker, I had to let some of the decoder into that compartment because of space constraints, but it did work. 
About the only problem i had was a broken wire on the newest one, which let the sound happen, but no engine movement.  Again, a relatively easy fix.  I found that (with Josh's help-Tony's trains) working in the CVs to my liking was OK; although I am not too crazy about the whistle variety.  I used three Tsunamis so far; two USRA 2-6-6-2s, and one Mantua logging 2-6-6-2.  They all have that characteristic in and out of syncopation business programmed.  An articulated would sound strange any other way.
All in all, the engines have a great response, look great, and run smoothly.  I do not run an articulated or a drag engine over 15MPH anyway.   Crawling over a grade crossing with a string lf cement hoppers in tow is mighty impressive, if I do say so m'self...
I will send you a pic of the first engine.

RIch

Rich'
Thanks for your input, I see micromark has them on sale and while a dedicated Great Northerner really think i should have a couple of these for our southwestern designed layout....maybe in Denver Rio Grand livery!
Looking forward to your pics....
Rocky Lives

lanny

I feel the same as Sheldon and I think am in the same situation ... i.e., no DCC or sound, using currently DC/Analog.

I have a Spectrum 2-6-6-2 and it is a beautiful runner. Doesn't pull up my grades quite as well as my Spectrum 4-8-2, but does a 'reasonably good job'. A very nice, smooth locomotive with beautiful detail (which, in my case, will eventually be stripped off when it becomes an ICRR 2-6-6-2! Yes ... it's true! IC did have a few 2-6-6-2s :D) . You will be happy with it ... however, you'll need to follow the advice of DCC experts as to sound, decoders, etc.

lanny nicolet 
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

oldline1

Thanks for the review of the 2-6-6-2. I decided to take advantage of the Micro-Mark sale and get one. It arrived yesterday and it's really fine looking. I will be adding a Tsunami to it as soon as I have a chance.

Like most of the Spectrum steamers it's reported to be light on pull so what have you all done to add weight to it? Where are the best places available for extra weight? I usually use birdshot with Elmers glue or A-Line weights when there is enough space.

Thanks,
Roger

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the heads up to Micro Mark!  When was this beastie made by Bachmann?  It is not listed in the current catalog.

What decoder would you install or recommend for basic ops, not sound?  I am not interested in sound in this lass.

Thank  you kindly.

Best, Jack

lanny

Roger,

I think the 'Virginian' among others uses 'bird shot'. I finally got a quantity (way more than I will ever use) and have added it to hollow steam and sand domes. Others have suggested the inside top of the cab or inside the boiler front around the headlight area. The Spec 2-8-0 already has a molded weight that fits inside the cab roof.

Perhaps some can make some good suggestions for places to add the bird shot. I do remember one of the experts on this forum explaining why it was important to get the weight added in the 'right' place in any given boiler, in order to gain maximum tractive effort. (I "think" it is over the center or closer to the front drivers? ... but I could easily be very wrong on this point)

The domes on the 2-6-6-2 may or may not come off easily. I haven't worked with my Spec 2-6-6-2 as yet. However I did find that the sand dome on the Spec 2-8-0 popped off without any problem.

Hope you get it weighted to your satisfaction. You will like the locomotive ... its a nice, smooth runner!

lanny nicolet

r.cprmier

I have mentioned my never-fail bird-shot (gotta watch that spelling...)
installation:  Take a balloon, or as I use...fill it up to the desired weight, and install it in  the locomotive.
glued in shot has a habit of falling out and making a mess out of the scenery (can you explain a 9-inch metal ball lying on the track?  I could never find a good explanation), much less potentially causing problems.
You can load a fair amount of weight in that engine.
For a DCC unit, I recommend Tsunami.  You will get that in-and-out-of-syncopation that is right for articulateds and mallets.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

The boiler top comes off the 2-6-6-2 easily, but there is little room form more weight. I put some moldable lead in the domes of one of mine but saw no real change in performance.

With the exception of the worst offenders, like the Athearn 2-8-2, I have had more success increasing pulling capacity by improving the rolling qualities of my cars as opposed to adding weight to locos.

The Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2, 2-8-0, 4-6-0 and heavy 4-8-2 all pull reasonably well without any extra weight if your cars are free rolling enough.

My tested pulling capacity using my 4.3 oz piggyback flats, with my special truck setup, on level track:

2-6-6-2            36 cars
4-8-2 heavy     38 cars
2-8-0               23 cars
4-6-0               17 cars

Sheldon

GN.2-6-8-0

From what i have read the 2-6-6-2 was the first in the Spectrum line,found a review i believe in the Feb 2004 MR.
Rocky Lives

lanny

Just wanted to add that I sure agree with Sheldon about making sure your rolling stock is 'free rolling'!

That was one of the first great lessons I learned on this forum ... what a 'reamer' was and the benefits of using one.

My personal favorite combination is reaming all delrin trucks (not metal ones ;D) with a Micro Mark 'Truck Tuner' or a Reboxx 'Reamer'. Then I use Intermountain 'semi-scale' metal wheel/axles. As Sheldon has pointed out, this probably is the best way to increase 'pulling potential' for most HO locomotives.

I might add that in my personal tests of 'before' and 'after' distances freight cars roll, using the 'reamer' and the adding the Intermountain metal wheel/axles in general increases the rolling distance of my cars 3 1/2 times the distance they originally free rolled.

lanny nicolet

jsmvmd

Rich,

Not to hijack this thread, but how do you like your Mantua?  Especially compared to the Bachmann?  Micro-Mark has one of those babies for sale, too, although it is a 2-6-6-2T.  Both can negotiate 18" radius curves.

Too, that birdshot in a balloon is a neat trick!

Why could you not cast a TBSP of lead, or similar size, then trim it to fit a sand dome, etc? Sheldon mentioned moldable lead. I presume this is similar to Al foil, and "scrunchable?"

Best, Jack

paintjockey

I just picked up one of these as well at my Local Hobby Shop. Is adding a decoder as easy as pulling out the insert on the tender board and putting in the decoder?
Sound isn't that important to me, I like it, but find it gets annoying after a couple minutes.