News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just a quick question

Started by Ibtimothy, February 20, 2010, 08:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibtimothy

I have a question about bachmann's Baldwin 2-8-0 DCC Southern 724 Blk/Wht/Red. this is a DCC locomotive, i know DCC can run on DC track, but can it be controlled by a basic DC controller?

ABC

You can buy a DCC locomotive and run it on DC, but it does not do you any good to have a DCC decoder. It will run on DC, but you may be better off removing the decoder and inserting the two jumpers to improve performance on DC. You can run it with the decoder in the locomotive, but cannot control any of the DCC features like light dimming and other things.

Nigel

Quote from: Ibtimothy on February 20, 2010, 08:50:14 PM
I have a question about bachmann's Baldwin 2-8-0 DCC Southern 724 Blk/Wht/Red. this is a DCC locomotive, i know DCC can run on DC track, but can it be controlled by a basic DC controller?
Yes.

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pipefitter

I have the Bachmann DCC-Equipped SY 2-8-2 Mikado as well as a dozen or so DCC equiped GP-30's, 35's and 38's, and they all run smooth and quiet on my DC only layout. I have DC controllers/power packs. They are Bachmann Spectrum, Magnum Premier and Magnum Ultra Plus. I'm not sure what form of DC these put out but I'm sure it's not old time half-wave AC which the old toy grade power packs did. The old half-wave "DC" is not good for anything, including DC motors.

If your loco's run OK with a decent, modern DC power pack (like mine do) then I would leave them be. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Bachmann loco that you have is designed to run on either.

DCC Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation Road Name: Southern #724

DCC-Equipped SY 2-8-2 Mikado Road Name: Susquehanna
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland