Started by mmiller, February 24, 2010, 09:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmiller

it's the little 2-6-2 on the Georgetown Loop fresh out of the shop
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

LurchBird

Yes, a Hawaiian 2-6-2 would be nice. It would be even nicer if it was outside frame...  ;D

Mark

ebtbob

I love the look of that engine.   Problem - the vanderbuilt tender.   If you like sound,  vandy tenders are  bear to deal with in respect to speaker location as well as overall space for speaker and decoder.    Just this past Saturday I heard this very discussion between a customer and one of the installation guys at my local train store.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

railtwister

Quote from: ebtbob on February 25, 2010, 07:55:12 AM
I love the look of that engine.   Problem - the vanderbuilt tender. 

But the loco in the picture does not have a Vanderbilt tender, it's more of a 'haystack' type like the ones on the S.P. narrow gauge. The problem with Vanderbilt tenders is caused by difficult access to the tender floor (the traditional mounting place for the down facing speaker), which is kind of like trying to mount the sound equipment in a tank car. The haystack tenders usually have flat floors with easy access, and look more like a Quonset hut than a tank car, so they shouldn't be any more difficult to install sound in than a standard tender of similar length, width, & height.

Regards,
Bill

LurchBird

curator49

I know that the tender pictured is certainly not a Vanderbuilt tender.

I think the tender as pictured above is known as a "Whaleback" tender.

Regards
Curator49

C.S.R.R. Manager

I like the 2-6-2.  Perhaps it could be offered in outside and inside frame versions, like the Forney, although my preference would be for the inside frame.  Or maybe with an optional water tank and coal bunker, so you could detach the tender and turn it into a 2-6-2T.

Unless they decided to do a dead-on SR&RL 2-6-2.  I hate to display my ignorance, but were the SR&RL's 2-6-2's in any way "catalog" locomotives?  Or were they unique?

Yeah, it all sounds so easy...  I'm glad I'm not in the Bachmann engineering department.  We can dream, but they have to make it work.

Manager

Hamish K

The S&RL's 2-6-2s were quite a bit smaller than this loco, #23 (the largest) weighed 63,000 lbs, had 33 inch drivers and 13*16 inch cylinders. Shows how small the Maine 2 footers were!

I always thought the S&RL were essentially catalogue locomotives, at least some generally similar locos were exported, including to Mexico.

My preference would be for a roughly Maine sized loco, with a tank version (they existed, including in Hawaii). While such a loco might not be exactly both an S&RL prototype loco (tender) or a particular Hawaii prototype (tank) they  should be close enough for most people, and would be valid as catalogue  locos.

That George Town Loop (ex Hawaii)  loco does look nice however.

Hamish.

railtwister

Quote from: curator49 on February 25, 2010, 03:34:08 PM
I know that the tender pictured is certainly not a Vanderbuilt tender.

I think the tender as pictured above is known as a "Whaleback" tender.

Regards
Curator49

I've heard them called both haystack and whale-back, but when I wrote my earlier post, the only name I could remember was 'haystack'. Thanks for mentioning the 'whale-back'! In any case, whatever you call it, it would be nice to have an additional style of tender for kit bashing, and a Hawaiian 2-6-2 would be nice, too.

Regards,
Bill (CRS sufferer)

Dusten Barefoot

How'a'bout a regular baldwin tender? I think it would be best. This way you can have my personal favorits, coal and wood load, and the oil loads. Or, have options in tender? Whaleback, and Normal.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

mmiller

I'm sure a standard Baldwin catalog tender would be fine...

I'd just like to see another sort of standard, typical looking loco that would look right at home on a railroad that ran anywhere in the country...you know, something a little less 'extreme' than some of the other locos Bachmann offers, something that would look right parked next to the original Mogul
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

ebtnut

Here's another very nice little 3' gauge 2-6-2, up in New Jersey.  I think she's down for Form 4 work right now.  http://www.trainweb.org/lazyacre/pcrr.html

LurchBird

ebtnut,
That's a great little loco there. A little googling comes up with this shot:

And from the back here:

Interesting placement of the back light. And the wooden ladder is priceless.

Mark

Royce Wilson

The Fulton County Narrow Gauge had a similar type light attached to the cab roof underhang. do you think maybe this was used more for illumination  for the the fireman to work?  does not seem to be a effective location for a backup light. ;D

Royce Wilson

Tomcat

I like the 2-6-2 too, preferably with a choice of a standard tender and a SP-style haystack tender (which I personally don´t like that much...)

BUT: My favorite would be a C&S No.74 and of course, a RGS version of this nice lokie...
OR:  no, I´m not going to say it again: The next geared engine for all the Loggers out there...

Maybe we´ll see something pretty cool this summer from the Bach-man...

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)