News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&M 2-6-0

Started by J3a-614, February 27, 2010, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

You are all right.  There seems to me a big push not just here on the Bachmann site, but other sites too.  I have to imagine that they would indeed sell well.  I know I'd love one!
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

rich1998

This one is really 1900, maybe, plus a little despite what Roundhouse says. The older MDC/Roundhouse use to have a 2-6-0 with 52 inch drivers that was more 1885 or so.
The headlight makes it look "older" but it is not.
Also, many, many 2-6-0s and other locos use to have air pumsp on the Engineers side, not the fireman's side in the 1880s.
This one looks much like the high driver, high boiler Kemtron Brass 2-6-0 that Kemtron, now Precsison Scale use to sell some years ago.
With some of the details of the Spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0, this one would look much like post 1900s 2-6-0s. Just putting a carbon arc lamp or electric lamp would change things a lot. Add some cooling pipes on the air pump side becasue the 2-6-0 had super heaters.

The below photo is the older 2-6-0, I bought in 1998. I have two of these. High driver, high boiler, circa 1900. That is the way the MDC 2-6-0 use to look.

They also came with 52 inch drivers.

Many 2-6-0's of the 1880's where low boilers.

Lex

uncbob

Quote from: pipefitter on March 04, 2010, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: uncbob on February 27, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
Here is the one at Strasberg PA across from the PRR museum

Here it is on the cover of the latest Railfan & Railroad (April 2010) pulling a photo freight. Nice feature article with many photos inside on the seven out of 25 CN moguls that still exist. They're over 100 years old.

http://www.railfan.com/

Looks like a different engine
Headlight is different --number is different ?

Guilford Guy

Strasburg got a real CN headlight/numberboard set back on the loco. It's been like this since at least 2004. None of the CN moguls were in the 900 series, however 91 is under steam at the Middlestown & Hummelstown also in Pennsylvania. I'm guessing based on the number of the loco in the photo, that this was for a special event.
Alex

pipefitter

Quote from: uncbob on March 04, 2010, 07:03:56 PM
Looks like a different engine
Headlight is different --number is different ?

Quote from: Guilford Guy on March 04, 2010, 07:20:56 PM
Strasburg got a real CN headlight/numberboard set back on the loco. It's been like this since at least 2004. None of the CN moguls were in the 900 series, however 91 is under steam at the Middlestown & Hummelstown also in Pennsylvania. I'm guessing based on the number of the loco in the photo, that this was for a special event.

According to the article, the loco was built as part of a series 1000 - 1024, class E-8 for the Grand Trunk in 1910. Some were rebuilt to GT class E-12 with superheaters between 1910 - 1923. In 1923 they were transfered to CNR and renumbered 902 - 926. By 1935 the unrebuilt locos had been scrapped and the 17 that remained were renumbered in 1951 to 80 - 96 to clear the 900 numbers for new diesels. So the loco at Strasburg had 911 as its second number and 89 as its third. The loco arrived at Strasburg when it was 62 years old and was rebuilt to its 1910 appearance with the headlight moved to the top of the boiler. For a photo charter in 2003 the loco was restored to its 1950 appearance as 89 with center mounted headlight, front mounted number plate and numberboards mounted where the headlight had been. In a 2007 photo charter it was returned to number 911. That's the magazine cover shot. In 2008 it was re lettered for Strasburg number 89 and the headlight moved to the top of the boiler to appear more typical of the Strasburg fleet. Whew!!!  :D

I saw M&H's 91 in the 80's when it had a tree growing up through a rusted out hole in the bottom of the tender. I doubted the small company's intention to have it running again. A running number 91 as well as other sisters are covered with pictures in the fine feature article. Get yourself a copy of the magazine.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Guilford Guy

And at this point I sneak back into my corner.
Alex

uncbob

Well that answers my question

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: pipefitter on March 04, 2010, 08:29:29 PM
So the loco at Strasburg had 911 as its second number and 89 as its third. The loco arrived at Strasburg when it was 62 years old and was rebuilt to its 1910 appearance with the headlight moved to the top of the boiler. For a photo charter in 2003 the loco was restored to its 1950 appearance as 89 with center mounted headlight, front mounted number plate and numberboards mounted where the headlight had been. In a 2007 photo charter it was returned to number 911. That's the magazine cover shot. In 2008 it was re lettered for Strasburg number 89 and the headlight moved to the top of the boiler to appear more typical of the Strasburg fleet. Whew!!!  :D

The appearance in the magazine cover photo gives it a real family resemblance to the Strasburg's "first" steam locomotive, a CN 0-6-0.

I think it would make a great model prototype, just as it appears in the cover photo: a small engine, thus useful on small pikes, yet with a certain "modern" appearance with the piston valves and centered headlight.

pdlethbridge

the centered headlight was a feature on most, if not all, of the B&M locos.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 05, 2010, 04:30:57 PM
the centered headlight was a feature on most, if not all, of the B&M locos.

i have yet to see a 1900+ B&M with the headlight other than the smokebox cover

pdlethbridge

I just checked my B&M photos and I found that the 0-6-0's as a class were top mounted. I think they were mostly post 1900.
The 2-10-2's were an odd lot. 3028 was probably the ugliest of the bunch with a above center mounted light. Lots of front hand rails and pumps and other things attached to it. The 2-10-2's with the coffin FWH had centered lights but were mounted about 2 or 3 feet in front of the smoke box.
If you look at my avatar, it is of #443, a 0-6-0 with a top mounted light.

Guilford Guy

Some 0-6-0s did have center mounted headlights though!

Alex

pdlethbridge

Alex, I just checked my pictures and the preceding units like 445, 444, and 443 all had top mounted lights. Could this engine been in an accident? Also this was the last 0-6-0 I have a picture of.