News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stripes on convoluted siding?

Started by Anubis, March 01, 2010, 01:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

G'day all,  :)

I want to add some thin pinstriping to the sides of my Bachmann Combine coach, which I am rebuilding into a Gas-Electric Rail Motor with a Backwoods Miniatures conversion kit.

I have had a bit of difficulty adding the yellow and black warning chevrons to the front of the cab, due to the convoluted nature of the material.

Decals are not the answer, for they will not mould themselves to the surface correctly, so I have opted to pick the stripes out with a fine paintbrush. This is acceptable, but the result is far from perfect.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for adding thin horizontal stripes to the metal sides. and making them appear 'even',  from a side angle, without the usual 'bleeding' ??

Many thanks.   :D
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

NarrowMinded

Hi, I use two methods 1. for spray cans. when ever I stripe something after applying  the tape I use light dusting coats of clear, this seals the edges of the tape if it bleeds a little its clear, then I spray the color.

For air brushing I always use flat colors and spray very light coats, then if a gloss finish is wanted I finish it with a gloss coat. this will also make the colors sort of POP out so to speak.

Please note for best results on both use very light dusting coats that appear almost like over spray, let them dry for an hour then re- "Dust" only your last coat should be a regular "WET" looking coat.

NM

mabloodhound

Spraying that clear coat first is a great suggestion that I'll remember.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

SideTracked

Has anyone ever tried using a technical pen for striping? I've used K&E Leroy templates and pens for lettering on locos and tenders. Instead of ink, I load the pens with acrylic paint. You'll have to experiment to determine the optimum viscosity. Since it's water based you can male your mistakes vanish will little effort.

Anubus, I just completed (ready for weathering) my Backwoods Miniatures conversion two days ago; but, took the easy route with a monochromatic livery. Almost 100-years ago, my grandfather, W P Kellett was the founder/chief engineer/general manager of Ontario's Lake Eire and Northern an electric interurban. I thought you'd be interested in their safety chevrons:

Photo credit: Rail City Museum
Are we having fun yet?

Anubis

Hi guys,

Great suggestions.

NarrowMinded, I especially like the sealing coats of clear, prior to the colour coat. I certainly will give it a try. :)

SideTracked, I love the pic of the interurban. It never occurred to me to extend the warning chevrons around to the sides of the front, but your pic has inspired me! :D

I also have an old set of technical pens that I have left over from the days when illustrations were all done with pen and ink (!)  ::).

I have tried using the .5mm and the .35mm, but it is very difficult to get the pen point to operate on the convoluted surface. They were designed to be used on smooth paper and tracing talc, and they simply do not like irregular surfaces.... >:(

Back to the drawing board.

Many thanks, all.

SideTracked

Are we having fun yet?

NarrowMinded

I forgot to mention if you have repainted the entire body you can use the same color instead of clear to seal the edges then spray the stripe color.

NM

Anubis

Hi Sidetracked,

Decals are not the answer, for they will not mould themselves to the surface correctly

The Woodlands Scenics rub-on stripes suffer the same fate as the decals, on the convoluted siding material.... >:(