Modeling the prototype of a freelance locomotive

Started by ryeguyisme, March 04, 2010, 01:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Rye Guy,

I have been following your project with great interest.  Very impressive to date.

I watched the video on your mechanism issue.  My problems on my Bowser were going forward, instead of reverse.  I don't know if this will help,but I found my crosshead guides were just a touch too long.  The drive rods were binding by rubbing and bumping the crosshead guides. Also I had some tiny screws connecting the valve gear parts that were loosening and binding up in the drive rods.  I was able to shortens the screws and use some locktite to hold them in place. However, I suspect every valve gear has its own set of issues to be worked out.

I monkeyed with mine for two weeks before it was as perfect as I was ever going to get it.  I would say take your time, and the answers will come.  This is the most important part of the project. 

Great build so far!  Can't wait to see the next set of pics.

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

After looking at the mechanism and such, I feel it's the motor and belt drive causing the problem. I have even contemplated sending the mechnism to NWSL to see if maybe they can make a bulletproof mechanism for me or make me a gearbox much like what you see on newer brass locomotives

DaveMFnC

I also have to add that I am younger and enjoy this hobby as much as the next guy. I'm 25 and last time I was in my LHS, my buddy Kelly has told me that sometimes I keep him sane....He's in his early 40's and says sometimes he just needs a break in that he deals with customers with the median age of 70. He respects me in that I can build an MDC shay and get it to run with stock parts better than anyone he has seen before. To add, I got started in this hobby as a child....I was about 5 when I got my first HO train set....Marklin made, let me tell you, recognizing the shear quality in those sets was very easy for a child my age. Hats off to you and beautiful build thus far Rye.

The music is another thing, I am also a professional guitarist....I can't tell you how many times I've worked on my layout with Sevendust, Tool or Mudvayne jamming on my stereo.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: DaveMFnC on April 07, 2010, 01:11:55 AM
I also have to add that I am younger and enjoy this hobby as much as the next guy. I'm 25 and last time I was in my LHS, my buddy Kelly has told me that sometimes I keep him sane....He's in his early 40's and says sometimes he just needs a break in that he deals with customers with the median age of 70. He respects me in that I can build an MDC shay and get it to run with stock parts better than anyone he has seen before. To add, I got started in this hobby as a child....I was about 5 when I got my first HO train set....Marklin made, let me tell you, recognizing the shear quality in those sets was very easy for a child my age. Hats off to you and beautiful build thus far Rye.

May the gods of the roundhouse bless you. Thanks to guys like you, the hobby will endure for at least another generation.  ;)

(Tell you what, I'd bet money that your being a musician has something to do with your skill as a kit-builder.)

jonathan

It's getting spooky.

I worked as a part-time musician (guitar) for 15 years... then the golf bug got me.  Thankfully, I got over that.

Must be a hand-eye coordination thing.  That and trains make a wonderful song all their own. 8)

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s.  The g-string makes great handrails.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jonathan on April 07, 2010, 11:46:07 AM
It's getting spooky.

I worked as a part-time musician (guitar) for 15 years... then the golf bug got me.  Thankfully, I got over that.

Must be a hand-eye coordination thing.  That and trains make a wonderful song all their own. 8)

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s.  The g-string makes great handrails.

That, and perhaps a real knack--or gift--or sense--for putting things together so they all work harmoniously.

I'm not kidding. An acquaintance who is a composer once told me that musicians make great IT people, so for some reason it didn't surprise me that a musician would be really good at assembling a locomotive kit. Maybe all those activities draw on the same area of the brain, or something.   ???

DaveMFnC

Ha! You're right, the G-string would make excellent handrails! Never thought of that. I would agree that there is definitely a positive relationship between the skills as a musician and model building in a subliminal sort of way. I forgot to mention that I also model steam exclusively as well. In my 10 locomotives, I have one diesel, a GP9, for the early transition period. I think I stopped modeling around 14, the whole high school and college business and what have you. I got back into railroading about 2 years ago. I was in a supermarket with my girlfriend at the time and picked up a "Model Railroader" and that was all she wrote. It was a Godsend as well because I was weening off of an addictive medication at the time and also trying to quit smoking and that helped to take my mind off things as well.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)