News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann should have more Canadian stuff

Started by Andy Fekete, February 05, 2007, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Fekete

I've seen tons of requests on the new board (which i love!) and I can't help but notice the fact that bachmann has only 2 Canadain loco's that i know of both of wich are not exactly very prototypical. They are both CNR and i honestly think that bachmann should have a few more than 2. I'm not trying to critisize bachmann as this is my opinion but does anybody agree?
I know i would definatly love to see a CNR U4-a class 4-8-4 as i only know of one company that makes it. it's a brass model that costs over $3000 (cnd), CNR S1-f MIkado or a CPR 4-6-4 royal hudson, 4-4-4 Jubilee or a massive CPR 2-10-4 selkirk

Does anybody agree or have any other recomendations?

you've been hit by...
you've been struck by...
a smooth criminal

SteamGene

I'm not Canadian and would probably not buy one, but the Royal Hudson is a beauty of a locomotive.  If there were any way the VT&P management would buy one, when the railroad already has three Hudsons and the C&O frequently sends one over VT&P trackage.
There are abviously a lot of Canadian model railroaders, so there is a market.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

How about these CPR locomotives?  DCC equipped and in two road numbers.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Andy Fekete

Gene pointed out what i think the problem is. there are a ton of canadian model railroaders but hardly ary on the board i wish there was a way to get more of them to use it.

Jim i like the idea! What about a CNR 6060 in spectrum the only company that makes a non-brass model of it it IHC and its not a mass-produced model (and neither is it a deatailed one) That would be great i'd definately get one

you've been hit by...
you've been struck by...
a smooth criminal

John C

Andy,  I too am a Canadian modeler.  I think that the issue is purely a marketing one.  We have a tenth of the population of the US and, by their standards, are probably quite frugal when it comes to spending our modeling dollars.  There are some Canadian loco's out there, and for the rest, you'll just have to rely on modifying and heavily detailing some US types.  There are lots of parts available to do this - Details by Eric is just one source that comes to  mind.  There are several companies that make Canadian prototype railcar kits and structures too.  Trains 'n Such in Calgary and George's Trains in Toronto are two sources that mail order and both used to carry fairly good inventories of Canadian stuff.  Good luck!

rogertra

Jim Banner.

Neither of the two photos of "CPR" models you showed in Canadian colours are accurate Canadian models.

They are just American models painted in Canadian colours.  That's a big difference.

What we are asking for is accurate Canadian models, not more models of American prototypes painted in Canadian colours.

tac

After having my complete Tenshodo factory-painted brass 'Royal Train', with its Hudson and set of nine cars, stolen at a train show a few years ago, along with thirteen other brass Canadian steam locos, I have saved the insurance money in the [vain] hope that somebody would bring out #2860 some time. :-[

Nobody has - in H0. >:(

But Accucraft are offering a live-steam Gauge 1 model for delivery this summer. ;D

Mine will be #41 out of 150.  And my order went in within two days of the announcement... :)

The things a guy has to go through to get a Canadian model of ANYTHING these days. ;)

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

PS - Bach-Man, congrats on the great-looking site!!! 

jayl1

BevBel had the Bachmann speeder, ballast regulator, Shay & a few other items available in Canadian road names.  Check with your dealer for info.

SteamGene

Based on Andy's examples, I'd say he's more interested in Canadian steam.

TAC, how did you have all that stollen at a train show?  Armed robbery?  I'm sorry to hear that.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hoople

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

tac

Quote from: SteamGene on February 07, 2007, 10:45:28 AM
Based on Andy's examples, I'd say he's more interested in Canadian steam.
TAC, how did you have all that stollen at a train show?  Armed robbery?  I'm sorry to hear that. Gene

The thieves broke into our club house on a military base on the 'open weekend', and took away everything that was not nailed to the floor, and I mean everything, including about 1000 feet of track, buildings and all the control equipment too. >:(

None of it was ever seen again, anywhere. :-\

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Jim Banner

As Andy pointed out and roger echoed, virtually all plastic models in Canadian colours are generic.  But aren't they also generic is most or all of the other colours they wear?  Is the Bachmann GP-35 an accurate model of a Conrail GP-35?  Or a CSX GP-35?  I suspect that if I want an accurate model of, say, a Western Maryland GP-35, and I buy a plastic GP-35, I will have to make some changes.  Alternately, I might be able to buy a more accurate Western Maryland GP-35 in brass.  Either way, I would be in the same position as a Canadian modeller wanting an accurate model of a Canadian locomotive.   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Trains Again

I wouldn't mind seeing a Canadian Steam Hudson. They are very beautiful.

tac

Quote from: Trains Again on February 08, 2007, 03:21:49 AM

Gorden - see your e-mail!!

Best wishes from snow-bound East Anglia

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Trains Again

Quote from: tac on February 08, 2007, 06:27:24 AM
Quote from: Trains Again on February 08, 2007, 03:21:49 AM

Gorden - see your e-mail!!

Best wishes from snow-bound East Anglia

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Very nice pictures! Thank you for the email Tac :-)   However, what I originally meant was.....it would be nice to see Bachmann make a Canadian Hudson lol.