News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lights and switches

Started by wolfcarnahan, March 05, 2010, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfcarnahan

I'm running manually with 2 tracks and many switches/sidings/yard elements. I'm using the old atlas slide/push momentary switches to throw the track switches. I'd like to have an indicator light by the selector switch or track switch to show which mode the track switch is in.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Relay? Interlocking relay? Second switch?

I'd really like it if one action could perform both the throwing of the switch and the constant on of the indicator lamp.

Thanks,
Wolf

Jim Banner

Atlas produces a device called a "Snap Relay."  It has 3 connecting screws across one end, which correspond to the three connections to a regular dual solenoid switch motor (the kind you have if you are using slide-and-push controls.)  At the other end of the Snap Relay are 6 more screws.  These make up a Double Pole Double Throw switch that throws at the same time as the track switch.  Half of that switch can be used to light one or the other of two indicator lights (bulbs or LED's) or to make a bi-colour LED change from red to green depending on switch setting.  If you want to, you can even have two lights on a schematic drawing of your layout to indicate which way the turnout is thrown PLUS a red/green signal beside the track to show the engine driver the same thing.  Having a control panel with a drawing of the layout and small push buttons plus indicator lights where each turnout is shown makes it a lot easier to relate the turnout you want to throw with the control you have to operate to throw it.  That is one of the reasons I don't much like the slide-and-push controls - I can never remember which does what.  The other is that they can lose their spring tension so that a switch motor stays energized until it goes up in smoke.  And a replacement motor immediately does the same thing.

The other half of the DPDT switch in the Snap Relay can be used to back up power to the points or to power the frog if the turnout needs/allows this.

Diagrams for these applications are available.  Perhaps someone can post them or post a link to them.  Failing that, let me know and I will draw you some.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

wolfcarnahan

Thanks, Jim.

I found a schematic. Looks easy. Now to find some at a reasonable price. I need about 20 and at about 10 bucks each that can get a little spendy.

Wolf