News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Discontinued Items in HO

Started by ABC, March 06, 2010, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

These items have all been discontinued in some form or another and are listed as out of stock and discontinued on Bachmann's website under product search:
McKinley Explorer
Gordon's Express Set
Acela Express
85' Amfleet I Acela® Regional Cafe
80 Ton, Three-Truck Shay
USRA Long Tender
Vanderbilt Long Tender
Vanderbilt Hicken Style Tender
Bobber Caboose
Bethlehem Steel 100 Ton Three-Bay Hopper
K4 4-6-2 Pacific
GE E33 Electric
Auxiliary Water Tender
Vanderbilt Medium-Length Tender with Coal Load/Oil Bunker
EMD SD-45
GE Dash 8-40CW
Fairbanks Morse H16-44
MDT Plymouth
B23-7/B30-7
DCC Sound-Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation
DCC-Equipped GP40 Locomotive
DCC-Equipped FT-A Unit
DCC-Equipped EMD GP50
James the Red Engine Freight Set
85' Amfleet I Phase III Coach
40' Box Car
50' Plug-Door Box Car
DCC-Equipped GE 70 Ton Diesel Locomotive
DCC-Equipped EMD GP35
DCC-Equipped EMD GP30
USRA Light 2-10-2
USRA 0-6-0 & Slope Tender
DCC-Equipped GS4 4-8-4 & Tender with Operating Headlight
EMD SD40-2 Diesel Locomotive
EMD GP38-2 Diesel Locomotive
E-Z Command® DCC System with DCC-Equipped Steam Locomotive
DCC Sound-Equipped USRA 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain
DCC Sound-Equipped 2-10-0 Russian Decapod
DCC-Equipped Baldwin RF-16 A/B Unit
DCC Sound-Equipped 4-6-0 Locomotive
DCC-Equipped GE 44 Ton Switcher
DCC-Equipped EMD DD40AX Centennial

I think it would have been easier to list what wasn't discontinued in some fashion.
Also, to be more clear, I put any items that were discontinued in some capacity on this list, so if one road name or number was discontinued I included it, it does not mean that all roads and numbers necessarily were discontinued (although this may be the case for some).

jettrainfan

WOW! :o

You got to be kidding me! Some of those i was thinking of buying this year! :'(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ABC

Hopefully, they will bring back new and improved versions of some of these.

GCTTowerA

I agree. Hopefully they will bring some back. That DDA40X was only released last year. :o

Cody J

With all of these you would think that Bachmann is going out of business
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

the Bach-man

Dear All,
We make hundreds of items, and tend to rotate stock from year to year. Also some, such as the McKinley Explorer, have been updated with new equipment, so the old version is discontinued to make way for the new.
Don't worry, we're fine, and the new catalog will be on line shortly for download. In the meantime, you can order a hard copy of our largest catalog to date.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

GCTTowerA

Thanks for the reassurance. I await the PDF version of your newest catalog, as does my 4 year old son.

sparkyjay31

Wow.  That's quite a list.  With the DCC Sound-Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation and 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler going away, what new dcc and sound small steam will be available out there? 

Or will we see a Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul appear?
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

ABC

QuoteAlso, to be more clear, I put any items that were discontinued in some capacity on this list, so if one road name or number was discontinued I included it, it does not mean that all roads and numbers necessarily were discontinued (although this may be the case for some).
If you were to read this you would realize the 2-8-0 and 4-6-0 were probably not entirely discontinued, but only some roads and numbers, which actually is the case. So the 2-6-0, 2-6-2, and 0-6-0 as Spectrum as highly unlikely.

CNE Runner

The Plymouth MDT (WDT) is still in production according to an acquaintance that owns a small hobby shop. He told me the road names change periodically; but the locomotive is a fairly good seller. This is a good thing as many of us that model small (read: mini a-la Carl Arendt) industrial layouts rely on these great little critters.

"Be still my quivering heart..."
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ABC

Quote from: CNE Runner on March 08, 2010, 09:32:38 AM
The Plymouth MDT (WDT) is still in production according to an acquaintance that owns a small hobby shop. He told me the road names change periodically; but the locomotive is a fairly good seller.
Only the unlettered versions are being discontinued I think.

CNE Runner

Thanks for the 'tranquilizer' ABC. While I prefer purchasing the unlettered versions of the Plymouth, it is an easy model to repaint/decorate. I keep saying that I will grind off the molded handrails on the Monks' Island Railway #3 (adding metal wire ones)...and then another project rears its head. Hmmm, maybe I should purchase two or three more unlettered units before they all are gone.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Pacific Northern

This posting reminds me of my last visit to the Athearn web page.
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, before the "information" age and the "need" for instant information and "instant gratification", the manufacturers of model trains printed a catalog, or sometimes just a simple list, of what would be available during the next YEAR. 

Even then, not every product was available all the time every year and some products went two or three years between production runs.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED - except for the customers unreasonable expectations of constant information.

So, to protect themselves from angry yupies with ADD, companies now call stuff that is "in between production runs" "discontinued" - so that, if they don't make it soon enough to suit someone, that someone cannot say they "lied".

AND remember, just because Bachmann is saying these products are "discontinued" does not mean they will be hard to get - large stocks of most of these products are on dealer shelves or in mailorder warehouses all over the country.

AND - now you have the wonders of the internet to find and buy them without ever leaving home. It does not matter if Bachmann has long haul tenders, last time I was in Star Hobby there where dozens of them, just in that one store. Bachmann is not selling direct to you anyway.

AND, if there truely is an ongoing demand, you know the nice people in Philly will happily get the nice people in China to make more next year or the year after.

Sheldon

hawaiiho

What is beginning to concern me is the rapidly declining inventory of Spectrum locomotives at the larger internet dealers.

I have been watching for new items to become available and I have noticed a very pronounced decline in the available

Spectrum locomotives.