Something just struck me about the observation cars

Started by on30gn15, July 02, 2010, 10:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Something just struck me about the observation cars: the observation end is the one with stove and toilet enclosure which keep car from having any back windows to observe out of.  :o  ???

And it looks like you can't simply turn the floor around because of the way the clips for the battery box and the light switch come up under the seats. 
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

I thought they got the name because of the observation deck.

NM

on30gn15

It was 2 part deal - the outdoor deck and indoor a kind of parlor section with windows in aft bulkhead of car to allow for a wider view than just side windows.

Now, am starting to wonder, If obs deck railing is moved to other end, seats will be facing rearward.

Possible to cut windows in end wall no sweat.

But what about a bit of judicious sawing and rearranging floor so most of seat face fwd and last several face aft?
That's kind of growing on me.  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Doneldon

on30 -

It shouldn't be a big deal to change the seating arrangement.  You might even want to have some seats facing out the sides or use a round seat so people can look 360o.  Some obs were built with such seats.  Some obs had oversize side windows near the rear of the car; these were sometimes referred to as solariums.

-- D