News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small O Scale Sawmill?

Started by Anubis, March 06, 2010, 11:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hey fellas,

Many years ago, I built up a white metal kit of a small saw shop and plank mill in HO.

It had the saws, logs, a dipping tank, overhead belt drive, and a small donkey engine on a sled powering it (static only).

I think it was from Woodlands Scenics, but I can't be sure.  ???

Does anyone know of a similar small kit - preferably white metal - in O Scale?

I would just love to stick one in a vacant corner of my On30 layout. ::)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

the Bach-man

Dear Anubis,
The mill on the Riley's Run layout is built from Plasticville covered bridges and Keystone metal equipment.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Tomcat

Hi there !

Check JV Model´s Lucas Sawmill - its affordable and very nice!
Keep in mind that this is a Craftsman´kit and take your time building it,
but it´s possible and it´s a lot of fun!

Or, if you go and buy all the machinery (Keystone) separate, go the way the Bach-man described and use some Covered Bridge kits from the Plasticville Range for building up your Sawmill. Riley´s Run Layout looks terrific to me!

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Anubis

Hi Tomcat,

I just checked out JV Model´s Lucas Sawmill and all I can find is an HO version.

Do you think that they also supply an O Scale kit?

El Loco

Yes it is offered in O scale.  :)
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/345-4021
On sale for  $84.98
You can build it "size wise" to your needs.

rich19

Take a look at the small saw mill from OZSTEAM:
http://www.ozsteam.com/html/on30_sawmill.html
They also sell structures for it.
Very much "backwoods"

Richard

Terry Toenges

Oz Steam pics sure bring back memories. I worked at a couple of sawmills in my time.
Got off active Marines in '70 and came back to St. Louis. Found it too boring after Vietnam. Headed for the bright lights of NYC because I had never been there.
Got a job as store detective at E J Korvettes in Herald Square and then to a high paying job at the UN in security. Got home sick and tired of rat race in '74 and moved back to STL. Security companies in STL only paid minimum wage.
Ended up taking a job as a mushroom picker in a cave for Knaust Mushrooms across the river in Il. That lasted for a couple of weeks. The were only about 3 or 4 of us who spoke English. They let me drive the fork lift to get me to stay, but still got bored.
I headed for Lake of the Ozarks and got a job at 3 M & S Engineerin for $2.25 an hour. They had a portable saw mill. After a little time as an off bear, their logger quit and I took over his job. Got to drive a John Deere 440 log skidder. Head up the mountain in the morning with my helper and cut the timber and spend the afternoon hauling the timber down to the sawmill.
A guy whose family owned another sawmill/lumber business in the area used to come around and he liked my work and offered me a job for $3 an hour.
I went to work for him as an off bear. Their business had been there for years and the saws were in a building. After about a month, the constant high pitched whine of the saws working inside a building got to be too much for me and I started regularly getting migraines.
About that time, I checked into my VA benefits and was able to quit the saw mill and go to boat mechanic school at the local tech school.
If 3 M & S would have paid me more, I would have stayed doing the logging.
Feel like a Mogul.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Sidetrack Laser has a really nice medium size mill:
http://www.sidetracklaser.com/Thunder%20Bay.htm
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Anubis

Hey, thanks fellas... ;)

El Loco, I followed your link to WKW and have ordered an O Scale kit. Good Onya!  ;D

Rich19, I like the look of the ozsteam mill too, but I have not had much to do with eBay, and I tend to shun their site, due to a couple of sour transactions some years back.  :P

There really is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession :o