News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers samples please

Started by conradin, May 07, 2007, 12:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I am still new to the hobby.  I read from this board and people mentioned rapido couplers, dummy knuckle couplers, MT couplers, magnetic couplers, etc etc etc. ???

I am totally confused.  My trains came from the basic train sets..so I have no idea what sort of couplers people are talking about.

Can anyone please be so kind as to post pictures of different type of couplers?

r0bert

this loco has a rapido, square, coupler on the tender

this is a bachmann knuckle

the U50 on the left has a Micro Trains coupler, the next loco has a scale dummy non functional coupler, for looks only. the third loco, also a turbine,  has a dummy, non operating coupler on the front, it will connect to a operating knuckle coupler, but does not open to uncouple.
and the forth loco again has a MT coupler

fieromike

Quote from: conradin on May 07, 2007, 12:12:04 AM
I am still new to the hobby.  I read from this board and people mentioned rapido couplers, dummy knuckle couplers, MT couplers, magnetic couplers, etc etc etc. ???

I am totally confused.  My trains came from the basic train sets..so I have no idea what sort of couplers people are talking about.

Can anyone please be so kind as to post pictures of different type of couplers?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u293/fieromike/couplers-1.jpg
Not the best photo, but l to r:  Dummy knuckle coupler(s), Truck mounted Micro-trains coupler, Micro-trains coupler for body mounting.  Most all of the knuckle type couplers will mate with one another, but not all will uncouple automatically.

Mike

James in FL

Here’s a good place to start.
This is several years old. 
Since originally published some additional manufacturers have joined in the knuckle market (B’mann included).
You will hear many opinions on “which is best”.
At the end of the day, it only matters which is best for you, in your applications.

FWIW
I have close to 200 pcs. of rolling stock.
I use â€"

MT, - Magne-Matic’s
Kato - Magnetics
Atlas - Accumate’s
Red Caboose - Unimates
Bachmann - dummies
And some Rapido’s from various manufacturers.

82% of my roster is some type of knuckle.

You need to figure out what works best for you.

Click the Pic’s to enlarge.

http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm