News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Third Rail

Started by Joe323, March 09, 2010, 05:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I am at the point where I am going to be adding an elevated roadway to my layout to represent the Staten Island Railroad.

I have two questions Does anyone manufacture a third rail Since the SIR uses NYC Subway equipment the tracks have a third rail for electrical pick up.

Second is there a way to have the consist reach the end point pause and automatically reverse back the other way, as the SIR/Subway does?

OldTimer

Micro Engineering sells rail in bundles of 10 or 11 three foot pieces.  Making it look like the SIR equipment is up to you.   :D  A company called Light Rail Products makes an auto-reversing unit designed to work with trolleys, so it should be easy to wire into your outside 3rd rail trackage.  Hope this helps. 
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

I was not planning to electrify the third rail but I'll consider it if need be Thanks

RAM

I think you would be smart not to use the 3rd rail for power pickup

ebtnut

Some history and commentary.  Looks from a couple of pics that the SIRT used an over-running third rail, i.e., the pick-up shoes ride on the top of the third rail.  In addition, there is also a cover (originally wood, probably some kind of plastic today) over the third rail for safety.  Way, way back some early HO trains used outside third rail pick-up (O scale the same way).  There was a flexible pick-up wire mounted under the chassis of the loco that stuck out far enough to ride on the third rail.  The third rail itself was mounted, like the prototype, on extra long ties.  The real trains used an insulator mount; the model guys used a brass post set into the tie, to which the third rail was soldered.  The metal post looked like a handrail stanchion with a flat top. 

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in HO try to correctly model a working third rail pick up shoe.  Making a working pick-up paddle that was reliable, and keeping the tolerances tight enough on the third rail are probably beyond the talents of mortal men. 

All that being said, I would opt for installing a dummy third rail assembly and running the trains on standard 2-rail track.  To model the third rail, maybe find some appropriate size beads to represent the insulators. Make every 5th or so tie extra long and glue them down.  Stick some styrene rod down in the bead hole, trim to a constant height, and glue some styrene angle material onto the posts to represent the third rail and safety cover.  Paint grimy black. 

Joe323

Some history and commentary.  Looks from a couple of pics that the SIRT used an over-running third rail, i.e., the pick-up shoes ride on the top of the third rail.  In addition, there is also a cover (originally wood, probably some kind of plastic today) over the third rail for safety.  Way, way back some early HO trains used outside third rail pick-up (O scale the same way).  There was a flexible pick-up wire mounted under the chassis of the loco that stuck out far enough to ride on the third rail.  The third rail itself was mounted, like the prototype, on extra long ties.  The real trains used an insulator mount; the model guys used a brass post set into the tie, to which the third rail was soldered.  The metal post looked like a handrail stanchion with a flat top. 

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in HO try to correctly model a working third rail pick up shoe.  Making a working pick-up paddle that was reliable, and keeping the tolerances tight enough on the third rail are probably beyond the talents of mortal men. 

All that being said, I would opt for installing a dummy third rail assembly and running the trains on standard 2-rail track.  To model the third rail, maybe find some appropriate size beads to represent the insulators. Make every 5th or so tie extra long and glue them down.  Stick some styrene rod down in the bead hole, trim to a constant height, and glue some styrene angle material onto the posts to represent the third rail and safety cover.  Paint grimy black. 

Actually thats exactly what I had in mind thanks. I am using EZ track on my layout for the freight runs.  but the elevated part will probably use code 100 flex track soldered together and curved as needed. I have no intention of modeling the paddle thats just beyond my skill.  Most of the SIR is fairly straight (In comparison to the NYC subway but on my layout there will have to be a fairly sharp curve or two  to accomidate my space.

poliss

There are several manufacturers of model 3rd rail equipment, such as ceramic insulators etc. Although they are primarily aimed at the UK modeller, the track is the of the same gauge and codes.  See this page for details of the components.
http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/mod4condrail.html

This page has a general guide with good close-up photos of how prototype third rail systems work. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russelliott/3rd-4th.html  Follow the link on that page to the New York City Subway Resources site for more info on the SIRT.

Some adventurous modellers even have a working third rail pick-up system.