News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 45t switcher

Started by Cted1947, March 10, 2010, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cted1947

What is the best sound decoder/speaker combination for the Spectrum 45t switcher?

ebtbob

Based on the size of the 45 tonner,   something from LokSound would probably be the best bet.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

richg

I tried to post the results of a search but it did not works. Search the General and HO forums for 45 ton. Someone gave an answer to this issue before.

Rich

richg

Since you have not responded, I will assume you have not looked yet. The LokSound Micro will probably fit. Look up the diagram. Do some measuring, "before" you order the parts.
You can see where you can fit a round speaker. The speaker will pick up loose magnetic material which will affect the sound quality.
Also, look up the LokSound decoders. The Standard and Micro have 100 ohm speakers. The Select has 8 ohm, speakers.

Rich

Cted1947

Richg,

Thanks for your effort. I did look at the earlier postings and "lexon" mentioned a link to someone who had used a Loksound micro, but the link was not there. Are you suggesting using a Loksound rectangular speaker installed just under the shell?

Ted

richg

Quote from: Cted1947 on March 12, 2010, 07:06:01 PM
Richg,

Thanks for your effort. I did look at the earlier postings and "lexon" mentioned a link to someone who had used a Loksound micro, but the link was not there. Are you suggesting using a Loksound rectangular speaker installed just under the shell?

Ted

Yeah, I find someone is removing some messages. No idea why. Someone else has said the same thing.
To the left is Product References. Look up the 45 ton.
You will see  where you can put a round speaker in the fuel tank of this loco. The Micro comes with a 16mm x 25 mm speaker. You will have to order the proper speaker when you measure the speaker opening in the loco.

Rich

Mike_AA9ZY

I've been interested in the 45 ton engine myself. One would think that Bachmann would have some recommendations. Gee, it's too bad they couldn't have included a couple of sentences in the manual about installing a recommended dcc sound module and speaker.

richg

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on March 13, 2010, 08:44:52 AM
I've been interested in the 45 ton engine myself. One would think that Bachmann would have some recommendations. Gee, it's too bad they couldn't have included a couple of sentences in the manual about installing a recommended dcc sound module and speaker.

Bachmann expects you to have some experience with modifying locomotives. A lot of DCC/sound is not plug and play. Again, look at the diagram and you will see a location for the speaker which by definition means you can install sound.
When I bought one of the first Spectrum 4-4-0 DCC Ready, I noticed a speaker location for a one inch diameter speaker. That told me I can install sound and that Bachmann plans for future sound releases which they have done. I installed a Micro-Tsunami decoder.
If you take time to study various DCC articles in various DCC forums and links from Google searches, you will gain a lot of knowledge concerning DCC installations.

Rich

Mike_AA9ZY

Hi Rich, that's certainly one way to do business.

I have been looking at Loksound decoders and haven't found anything that would be appropriate soundset for the 45 ton engine. The galloping goose might be close.

At the risk of sounding impertinent, may I ask what you used?

Mike

richg

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on March 13, 2010, 02:04:06 PM
Hi Rich, that's certainly one way to do business.

I have been looking at Loksound decoders and haven't found anything that would be appropriate soundset for the 45 ton engine. The galloping goose might be close.

At the risk of sounding impertinent, may I ask what you used?

Mike

This use to be easy to find at Litchfield Station but Bruce has cut way back on operations and no longer supplies this decoder. I think I might have bougth the last a couple weeks ago
Bruce suggested this decoder to me for the 44 ton about a year ago.

This is from The ESU site for the LokSound Micro. They are primarily European/UK sound decoder sellers but also have many USA sounds. Not to easy to find. You need patience to look through their site. Yes, pricey.

The 45 ton like the 44 ton has two prime movers. You can hear both start but it is subtle.

The sound link is there also.

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/generation-3/loksound-micro-v35/us-sounds/

Just in case, the decoder is ESU #72843.

72843   CAT 44      
   Diesel-switcher, 44 tons weight, 2 × Caterpillar D17000 engines

Rich

Mike_AA9ZY

Hi Rich, thanks for the info! I haven't found the decoder yet, but at least I know what to look for.

I think this little engine would be just the thing for my layout, which is a Milwaukee Road branchline.  It's just too bad that Bachmann didn't offer this with sound, like my On30 engines.

pdlethbridge

Sound in diesels has been suggested here several times. But no one at Bachmann is taking the hint. ???

ABC

Not true, no one at Bachmann has but the people at BLI and Athearn have, but I'd like to see sound equipped Bachmann diesels too.

Cted1947

I took Rich's suggestion and went to the ESU website. You can listen to various sound samples and the 72843 is as close as one can get for a loco with two small generators. Now I have to order one and decide whether to use the speaker that comes with or use a 13mm in the speaker chamber at the bottom of the engine.

Mike_AA9ZY

I listened to the sound file too and now I wonder where to buy this decoder.