Wheelset Length for the BACHMANN HO 36" FLAT BACK WHEEL SET 42903

Started by einstein1782, March 14, 2010, 06:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

einstein1782

Can you tell me What the Axle length of the BACHMANN HO 36" FLAT BACK WHEEL SET 42903 is. I need to know from the tip of the point at one end of the axle, to the tip of the point of the other end of the axle. I'm considering putting these wheels on some Pocher Passenger Cars I have. Thanks... I'm re-posting this because I emailed Bachmann's Service online Department and they emailed me back with the wrong information. they told me the axle length was 15mm. Well I know for a fact that the length of all HO Scale axles are around 1" (inch) - 25.4mm . If I can't get the information from Bachmann, then you guys and gals that go on to forums like this are my only hope, thanks again

ABC

Didn't you ask this exact same question already, there is an easy solution to this. Go to your local hobby shop and measure, if they don't have any ask the owner to order some then measure.

einstein1782

I did ask this question already. I can't go to the local hobby shop. because there isn't one. I live Up North in the back woods of Michigan. The closest train shop is 72 miles away. I order all my trains and train parts online. That why I need to know exactly what I'm ordering, before I order it. Thanks for replying anyway you are the only one.

pipefitter

Try calling these folks. They are a full service hobby shop with knowledgeable, helpful staff. They carry Bachmann products. http://www.peachcreekshops.com/

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

OldTimer

As with most things that require a measurement in model railroading, the NMRA has an answer to your question (sort of).  NMRA Recommended Practice (RP) 24.3 defines the suggested parameters for axles.  The maximum length of an axle with tapered ends should not exceed 1.035 inches.  I'm pretty sure that the Bachmann wheel sets fit this RP.

Now this does not exactly answer your question because Poocher (a now defunct Italian manufacturer) probably subscribed to a European set of standards.  My suggestion is that you buy the wheel sets and try them.  If they don't fit the trucks on your cars, you can eventually find something else to use them in.  

I can tell you that I have replaced countless sets of wheels on Rivarossi passenger cars with Kadee 36" wheels.  The only modification required was to trim the cast on brake shoes a little.  Being a RMR (remote model railroader) myself, I can sympathize.  Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet, send the bucks and take our chances.

Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

einstein1782

To OldTimer:
I know what you mean about shaving the Brakes. I have some 36" Intermountians that require the same modifications. Well I took your advice and ordered 12 of the Bachmann 36" wheelsets. Lets hope I get lucky and they fit.