News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout mat

Started by full maxx, March 10, 2010, 08:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

what would be a good layout mat (green) there are numerous choices and I don't want low quality
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Tylerf

Well yoou can really only get so much quality out of a grass mat, they are just to perfect looking for me. But I once used the woodland scenics version and it seemed pretty good. Seeing as they are the most common brand of grass they are I'm assuming the best color and texture. I can only assume the others might be worse in color. Also I'm not sure if the others do but the woodland scenics one has grass that can be scraped off and it'll form to hills with a heat gun.

ABC

Why don't you use ground cover, it's looks more realistic.

full maxx

isn't that more expensive?
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ebtbob

In my mind,  the easiest way to put down scenery on a train board is to simply paint an area with a brown earth tone color paint and while the paint is still wet,  sprinkle on fine ground cover.    Woodland Scenics has a shaker bottle that will help or you can take any cardboard container that dry mix beverages come in such as Crystal Lite or the drink mixes that you can buy at Walmart.   Just take out the seperate mix containers and drill holes to the size of your choosing in the lid.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Chris350

Quote from: ebtbob on March 11, 2010, 08:53:32 AM
  Woodland Scenics has a shaker bottle that will help or you can take any cardboard container that dry mix beverages come in such as Crystal Lite or the drink mixes that you can buy at Walmart.   Just take out the seperate mix containers and drill holes to the size of your choosing in the lid.
I like the drink container idea.  Also those Woodland scenics shakers are used for bulk dry herbs and spices.  If you have any friends in food service they can get these by the box full... Free.  You can probably get them from any market that has a prepared food section as well.

Johnson Bar Jeff

For temporary layouts, I use an old green flannel sheet.

Joe323

For temporary layouts, I use an old green flannel sheet.

Actually because I know I'm going to have to disassmble my layout next year I am using green felt.  Once the rennovations are complete I will paint the under lying foam earth color and sprinkle gound cover.

uncbob

Quote from: ebtbob on March 11, 2010, 08:53:32 AM
In my mind,  the easiest way to put down scenery on a train board is to simply paint an area with a brown earth tone color paint and while the paint is still wet,  sprinkle on fine ground cover.    Woodland Scenics has a shaker bottle that will help or you can take any cardboard container that dry mix beverages come in such as Crystal Lite or the drink mixes that you can buy at Walmart.   Just take out the seperate mix containers and drill holes to the size of your choosing in the lid.
My experience in painting is that indoor flats dry very fast
What type do you use

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Joe323 on March 11, 2010, 04:49:26 PM
Actually because I know I'm going to have to disassmble my layout next year I am using green felt.  Once the rennovations are complete I will paint the under lying foam earth color and sprinkle gound cover.

I've used green felt, too. Schleicher recommends it, also. I switched to the green flannel sheet when I found it because not only does the sheet cover the table top, it also hangs down and hides all the stuff stored under the table.  ;)

Joe323

I will be putting curtains around the table to hide the storage but first we have to clean out the stuff underneath.