News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 5212

Started by 5212spec, March 16, 2010, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5212spec

i bought a spectrum 5212 2-10-2 train (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1513)

thats the link to my train

i have 18"r" track >:( and the 2 front wheels are hitting the tanks behind the wheels and going off the track >:( should i try 22"r" ;) track or should i try 31"r" track ? im going to my hobby shop 2maro so i would like to know asap possibly tonight im a NOOB to this hobby and spent 240 :-\ dollars on this dcc equiped train and it wont go around my track please help Thanx Nathan

5212spec

please help i need to now whitch track ill check in the morning this thread g'night

Jhanecker2

You can't run a long wheelbase train on a 18"radius track.  I run my 4-8-4  on a minumun radius of 22"radius and I suspect your loco needs a minimum of at least 26" radius or larger. 18" radius track is used for 40' rolling stock , two axle truck diesels, and short steam locoes. It will not support full length passenger cars , modern longfreight cars & autocarriers , and  three axle truck diesels.  Sorry John II.

Pacific Northern

There is a review of the Spectrum 2-10-2 locomotive on the Model Railroader web site. The review of this engine indicated that although the engine had a substantial wheel base it was capable of running on 18" radius track. The reason for this was the amount of lateral play of the drivers.

However, several members of this forum have indicated that their engine is not capable of running on 18" track, I have not heard of anyone indicating that this engine would not run on 22" track. I have several of these engines and they run well on 18" radius track althought any turnout less than a #5 will result in the engine derailing.

So, it seems to be the luck of the draw, some of the Spectrum 2-10-2's will run on 18" track on others will not. Portions of the Model Railroader review follow:

"This powerful HO 2-10-2 may be called a "light" 2-10-2, but it's still a big steam locomotive by most model railroad standards. For its size, this new Bachmann locomotive is surprisingly flexible and capable of negotiating 18"-radius curves. A factory installed automatic dual-mode decoder allows it to operate on either DC or DCC (Digital Command Control).

The mechanism. This model is one of the few large steam locomotives I've seen that has the correct prototype wheelbase. The combination of small drivers (scale 57") spaced on 75" centers provides operating clearance for the model's RP-25 wheel flanges. In addition, the lead and trailing truck wheels are the proper size, and they're also spaced on the correct centers.
The die-cast metal chassis has a five-pole can motor mounted in the firebox. An acetal plastic gearbox connects the worm and gear drive to the middle driver; the side rods power the other drivers. The middle set of drivers is correctly blind (no flanges), and the others have some lateral motion so the model can run on curves as sharp as 18" radius, but it'll look better operating on wider curves."
:P
Pacific Northern

ABC

I cannot believe your 2-10-2's make 18" radius, my only 2-10-2 will derail all the time on 18" radius but is fine on 22" radius.

Pacific Northern

As I said.

So, it seems to be the luck of the draw, some of the Spectrum 2-10-2's will run on 18" track on others will not

If you search this forum you will see that this subject has some up before. Some owners of Heavy Mountain engines have indicated that their engines will run on 18" radius, none of mine will run on less than 22" radius track.
Pacific Northern

5212spec

thank you much ill get some 22"r

5212spec

also how many cars will this train pull i dont know if i should make it a passenger train or a  freight train !

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

As I have said before,  here on this forum,  when looking at a steam engine to purchase,  the safe bet is to add a minimum of 2 inches to the manufacturer's stated minimum radius.    This comes from personal experience as well as reports for customers that frequent the train store I work for partime in the Philadelphia area.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

OldTimer

Locomotives with a two-wheel pilot truck were typically used in freight service.  Among the most common were the consolidation (2-8-0), the Santa Fe (2-10-2) and the mikado (2-8-2).  Four-wheel pilot trucks gave the locomotive more stability and allowed for higher speeds, and these engines were typically used in passenger service.  The atlantic (4-4-2), pacific (4-6-2) and mountain (4-8-2) were common examples.

Bear in mind that circumstances govern most things and any engine could be and was used in any service.  For example, it was not impossible to see mikados lugging passenger trains though the Alleghenies and passenger engines were sometimes used to move hot-shot freights.  

Some engines were such excellent designs that they were considered to be dual purpose locomotives.  The most widely produced steam locomotive of all time was the ten-wheeler (4-6-0) and these engines were used to pull any and everything around the turn of the last century.   If you see an engine with neither pilot nor trailing truck, an 0-6-0, for example, you are looking at a switch engine, normally assigned to duties in a yard.  

Your 2-10-2 will probably pull more cars than you can put on your track.  
Old Timer

Just workin' on the railroad.

5212spec

thanx very much for the advice im new to trains i have been doing rc for 5-6 years and my freind recently got me into trains ! i didnt get a chance to go to the train shop today but im going 2 maro ! so hope fully i will get 22' Radius track and some more freight cars !