News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Use of Message Board

Started by Hal, March 24, 2010, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

>:( >:( >:(

Bachmann -- Don't know of you are aware of this but I just received a " Personal Message " on message board from some guy selling movies.
I hope that this will be last of this type of message.  Please check it out.

Any else get this crap ??

Hal
Hal
Myrtle Beach

ABC

Every time someone tried to send me a personal message, it didn't work.

WoundedBear

The personal messages are working?????

LOL....quit complaining..... :D....the message system doesn't seem to work for anyone else on the board. Consider yourself lucky.

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Hal,
If you continue to receive inappropriate material from a member, please call Philadelphia and we'll take care of it.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

James Thomas

Hal,

I got the same message.  I assumed it was spam and deleted it.  Don't know why I would get a message like this from Bachmann message board.

-
jrt

Bucksco

These messages are due to a feature of the board that allows members to send emails to each other via the board within the board. We are currently discussing removing this feature in order to avoid occurences such as these.

Opinions?

jonathan

Jack,

I have been a member for perhaps a year I think.

I thought the personal message feature was turned off all this time.  I am not aware of receiving any personals. 

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

I'm pretty certain that the personal message feature doesn't work, because on 3 different occasions someone tried to PM me and it didn't work.

Bucksco

I would suggest trying again. I just had two of the folks here at Bachmann (non -administartors) send each other a message and it works fine.
I would like to get a feel for whether the users would like to keep this feature enabled or not before I pull the plug on it.

jonathan

OK. sir, I just sent one.  Let's see if the lucky recipient gets it and is able to respond.

Waiting with bated breath...

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Jack,

At this point I'd say the personal message feature is not being utilized or tried.

I suppose the choices are:

turn it off because no one would really notice; or

leave it on a long time, until we get use to it. 

For myself, I doubt I would use the feature much, if at all.  If it's that important, I would go off line using personal email addresses or phone calls.  Have done that in the past.  Works just as well.  This is just one man's opinion. 

Hopefully, someone else will give another point of view.

Thanks for your wonderful service to all us modelers.  Enjoy your products immensely.  AND
I really appreciate this forum!  Who else would put up with my endless gabbing about trains?

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

I hope the message feature gets left on.  Sometimes it is nice to be able to send someone a private message, particularly if there is some point of contention that would be best worked out in private.  It seems few of us are willing to put our email addresses on our profiles (although doing so has never caused me a problem.)  Without the message feature, there is no way to contact another member except by a public post.

Anybody know how long this feature has been working?  Last time I tried it there was still that "guess the letters" security feature that you could never get past.  But now it works just fine.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

i agree with jim, the message feature should be left on. it does serve its purpose, i can give somebody my personal email via the message and not have everybody on the board see it.

it seems to me that your problem is not with the message feature but with spammers abusing the board. i often read the board while getting ready for work at 5am, and often somebody has posted spam there overnight. it has been suggested in the past that the use of captcha technology would cut back on the number of spammers as most seem to be robots rather than actual humans. perhaps this would be a better way of limiting the problem? that, and maybe closer monitoring of just who is authorized to post here? i don't know the logistics of running this board so i don't know how easy these would be to do. but i'd hate to lose the message service over what has not until now been a source of complaints......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

If new posts were held back and monitored, that would eliminate a lot of garbage. If a new person puts up a post, wait 48 hours before it is posted. That would be a test and a fine way of getting rid of spammers. A new person posts immediately, 24 or 48 hour wait for an answer wouldn't be that hard. 

pdlethbridge

If you see spam report it to the moderator like I just did to the one on this page. A 24 hour wait would be a good thing for all new posters.