News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams Dash 9 # 8666

Started by jond_2002, March 27, 2010, 07:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jond_2002

Hello, Can anyone tell me how long do I recharge my Dash 9 # 8666 diesel in neutral so I  can get my horn and bell to start to work again? and also how high do I turn up the power so I don't damage anything?  Thank You...Jon.

phillyreading

Unless this is a new feature by Bachmann, there is NO battery to re-charge. You must have a transformer capable of having bell and whistle/horn features to use the whistle or bell features. I have an MTH Z-1000 and a post war Lionel 275 watt ZW transformer.
This might help you as well; on the older Williams with True Blast 2 horn units you must hold the bell button down for at least three seconds for it to activate and again for three seconds to make it quit.
If this don't help try reversing your power wires at the track, switch the wire from the outside rail to the inside rail and see what happens.

If none of the above helps you call Bachmann's service department ASAP!!

Lee F.

EIS

The whistles on some modern engines do not work with a postwar transformer.  If you are using a postwar transformer and the whistle doesn't work, you can get the whistle control from Lionel to activate the whistle/bell on modern engines.

Good Luck...
Earl

phillyreading

The post war ZW I have will work the newer True Blast 2 horn units by Williams.

A Lionel CW-80 may not work with True Blast 2, as it don't work well with MTH engines, don't matter what series of CW-80.

If you can't get a sound activation button, you can buy an MTH Z-750 or Z-1000 and that should give you both horn & bell features. However you can only access one sound feature at a time with the True Blast 2 units.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

In TMCC in conv. I have had NO problems with horn or bell.

3rail

With the older deluxe transformers like the ZW and KW they had a voltage coil that would increase the track voltage to prevent the steam locos from slowing down when the whistle was blowing. Try pressing the whistle button halfway this sometimes works since it does not engage the voltage coil at this point.

Regards.

3rail

phillyreading

Try to run your diesel engine on the track at about 10 to 12 volts and that should get the horn feature to work, or without a voltmeter try going to about half of full speed or better.

Lee F.

EIS

Lee,  I think 10-12 volts on any of my Williams engines would launch them into low earth orbit.

Earl

phillyreading

Earl,

You must be referring to the GP-9's, as they can get away from you very quickly with little voltage.  The SD-45's I have take a little more voltage to go as fast as you said.

Lee F.