News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann N Scale Remote Switches

Started by WRJ, March 27, 2010, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRJ

I am having problems with my newly installed Bachmann Remote Switches for my N Scale layout. Some work fine but others either will short out when an engine enters or will cause the engine to stall. On occasion they will work for a short time then they will do as already noted.
When activated by the direction box all switches work properly.
The track is ez track and the system is ez command DCC.
All wiring has been checked and rechecked.
The layout is approximately 2 1/2 ft by 10 ft. and I have four terminal tracks hooked up around the layout for power distribution.
I'm baffled and would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks

ABC

WRJ

Joe Satnik

Dear WRJ,

The N scale EZ-Track turnouts are power routing.  

Connect track power to the points end of the turnout. 

If points are set for main route, main route will be energized. 

If points are set for divergent route, divergent route will be energized.

It's possible that there could be other internal problems, but try the above first.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

WRJ

Joe,

Thanks; but I have tried that on some of the switches and they still don't work. Oddly enough those that do work are on the main lines and terminal tracks are on those lines but not directly at the heel of the switches. Those switches seem to work "ok" and do demonstrate the "power routing" feature.

Joe Satnik

Dear WRJ,

Do you own a Volt-Ohm meter?  If not, you should. 

Specialty tool stores, such as Harbor Freight sell them cheap, less than $10, and on sale sometimes as low as $2.

With the turnout alone on the bench, you can check the continuity of the power routing in the mainline position and the divergent position.   

It is possible that the internal rack and cog have slipped and need to be put back into proper postion. 

Here is an earlier post from James:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8236.0.html

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

WRJ

Dear Joe,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read James posting and will try and see if that works. Just as an aside I got one of those trouble switches working awhile ago. I just hooked it up and now it seems to work fine.
These are the things that are baffling: when something dosen't work and then it does without anything different being done to it.
Thanks again

Bill