News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LET'S SCRATCHBUILD A RUST BELT STRUCTURE!

Started by engineerkyle, April 16, 2007, 10:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineerkyle

Hi all,

I meant to post this thread, but the Bachmann forum does not handle the images like I thought, If you are interested in how I TURNED THIS;

INTO THIS;

HERE'S THE LINK;

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37394

CHEERS!

Paul M.

Wow! I read the Atlas board post... It's amazing!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

hotrainlover

I really liked your work.  Where did you get the tanks from....
I like the whole theme!

hotrainlover

engineerkyle

Thanks guys,

The tanks started out life as little squirt bottles. I added rust and details.

CHEERS!

lanny

engineerkyle,

just got a chance to look over your kit-bash modeling work. Beautiful! The whole finished piece is great and very believable. It would look great on anyone's layout! Really nice work!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Paul M.

The tanks... squirt bottles?!? I'd never have guessed it!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

engineerkyle

Hi Paul and everyone,

Thanks for the interest   :o

Here's another photo of the "tanks". After I sold some of the surrounding pieces in this scene, the tanks looked kind of lonely so I moved one of them to the Sibley module.

Those contraptions on top of the tanks are the wheel guards that Atlas RTR stock comes packed in. Recognize them?

CHEERS!

EK

jsmvmd

Dear Kyle,

Truly impressive!  What kinds of glue do you like to use for your "mixed bag" of materials? Or do you have a general purpose adhesive?

Also, how do you prepare the squeeze bottle surfaces to accept the paint? Is you paint acrylic or oil based?

Best Wishes, Jack

engineerkyle

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the interest.

I use four kinds of glue; Superglue for details, Titebond Carpenters glue for wood and paper, Testors "Model Airplane Cement" for styrene to styrene and  silicone based household goop for everything else.

Once the plastic bottles were sprayed with a primer coat, they got a coat of silver then various rust washes, a bit of oxide tempra powder and some Dullkote. The paint was all oil based for this application.

EK