News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Rail-truck scale?

Started by Anubis, March 28, 2010, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

G'day everybody,

I have just received my Spectrum On30 Rail Truck from WKW, and the very first thing I noticed about it was its diminutive dimensions! :o

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I have very serious doubts that the model is in 1:48 scale.    :-\   Either that or the Mack truck chassis that it is based on was only a Ford Model AA truck sized vehicle, rather than the somewhat larger (REO type) truck that I was expecting.

The supplied seated driver measures out at a shade under 5 scale feet tall (when adjusted to a standing position) and the cab windscreen is ony 3 feet across.  :o

It is nicely detailed though, and the driveshaft to the rear wheels actually supplies the torque to the rear axle. It also runs nicely, and handles my sharp radii very well.......the only problem is that it is completely dwarfed by my gas-mech, as well as the 0-4-0 Porter!!

Can anyone confirm that this is not in fact, an S Scale model?  ???
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Hamish K

The prototype RGS#1 (the second) was based on a Buick 6 sedan and was about 20 foot long. I think you will find that Bachmann's model is definitely O scale, as in fact are all Bachmann On30 locos and motive power. Narrow gauge prototypes varied greatly in size.

Hamish.

Anubis

Thanks Hamish,

That would explain a lot, then.

It must have been MY mistake, thinking that it was based on a larger truck. The Buick chassis was a similar size to the Ford Model AA.....  ;)

I have added an O Scale cut-down driver (removed his legs, and everything below the waist!) and with him in place, the whole thing looks more in proportion.

I think maybe, it was that S-scale driver that came with the truck that threw me.  :o

NarrowMinded

S Scale? my driver scales out to average size in "O"  wonder why yours doesn't

NM

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I have noticed that all my Bachmann motive power require crew members to have legs removed etc.   But,  remember folks,  this equipment is narrow gauged,  and there is not much room inside most narrowgauge equipment.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Anubis

Hi NarrowMinded et al,

As I mentioned, he measures just under 5 scale feet, which would make him below average height and build.

One of my constant sources of amazement since adopting O scale, is the vast difference in proportions in what are all supposed to be "O Scale" figures.  :o

The ones from Scene Master and Woodlands Scenics seem to be larger and 'chunkier' than others that are available from the likes of Model Power.

The Preiser figures are all around 7 feet tall and very slim in proportion, but they are European, and are (the more correct) 1:43 scale.

Still others, some which are cast metal, like those from the Model Company, are just about 'right' to my eye....even so, most are just on 6 feet tall.

Now this isn't really a problem, until you try to group these figures together - that is when the difference in size really jumps out at you.

So, in order to get around this anomaly, all you can do is to place the smaller figures further back on the layout - even a few inches seems to work - and the larger ones closer to the front. This is all right, but some of those smaller figures have exquisite detail, which is effectively hidden by their distance from the viewer.

Similarly, the smaller ones fit inside the cabs of locomotives better, as well as being the only choice for passengers inside carriages.

I don't recall having this sort of problem with HO figures. Even British OO seemed to fit alongside them all right.  There again, the overall scale is much smaller, and this would make the differences less noticeable.

So, I again submit: the supplied driver for the Bachmann Rail Truck is far too small for 1:48, and too large for 1:87 or 1:76. so IMHO, that puts him at about S Scale.  :)

NarrowMinded

Hi,

I don't use any woodland, I don't like the look of them,  where I work there is a guy 5'0" and a Woman 6'3"  I am 5'11" My wife is 4'11" I look like a giant next to my wife but average standing by myself.  I guess my point is not everybody is the same height and size so with the exception of the woodland figures  the differant sizes are proto typical to me. and if you use the woodland figure you could just say he/she  had a over active pituitary gland.

NM

terry2foot

Car and light truck based rail cars are small. How small? take a look here;-
http://mainetwofooters.fotopic.net/p22306463.html

Ok, it shows a two foot prototype, but it's still a full size vintage automobile based railcar, and it was small, and based on the figures that Model Railroader uses to populate its layout plans then I'm nowhere as big as their staff members!

Terry2foot

Anubis

Hey Terry2foot,

Great pix, mate!  8) 8) 8)