News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout modifications. now with more pictures

Started by pdlethbridge, April 01, 2010, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

There you go, you got it! It has the advantage of actually being two rail-roads in one. I can do a single loop on the out side or get a much longer run by taking the  bottom switch across the 60 degree crossing and make it like a folded dog bone. I am glad there are no reversing sections other than the turn table.

pdlethbridge

I just started laying the flex track left side inner loop and it is in the neighborhood of 19 1/2+" radius.

pdlethbridge

As my table is topped with homasote and flat it is easy to get my curves as perfect as possible. I use a 1"x2"x24" With a screw at one end and radius marks at the other. When I come to a nail hole I have my trusty compass check for radius and I do that for every hole. Works great! I have 2 tracks connected to the 60 deg. crossing and they have been tested as has the left hand inner loop. I have no dead spots or shorts.
All that's left of the mainline is the last track to the 60 deg. crossing. It's in but has to be cut to fit at the crossing, and the track to the right of the lowest switch, a #6, to the outside curve. That may be the most difficult because it is in a very hard to get to area. Hopefully I'll post pictures next week. It may take me that long to rest up from what I've done so far. ;D ;D

uncbob

Quote from: pdlethbridge on April 07, 2010, 03:48:38 AM
As my table is topped with homasote and flat it is easy to get my curves as perfect as possible. I use a 1"x2"x24" With a screw at one end and radius marks at the other. When I come to a nail hole I have my trusty compass check for radius and I do that for every hole. Works great! I have 2 tracks connected to the 60 deg. crossing and they have been tested as has the left hand inner loop. I have no dead spots or shorts.
All that's left of the mainline is the last track to the 60 deg. crossing. It's in but has to be cut to fit at the crossing, and the track to the right of the lowest switch, a #6, to the outside curve. That may be the most difficult because it is in a very hard to get to area. Hopefully I'll post pictures next week. It may take me that long to rest up from what I've done so far. ;D ;D
So you are laying right on the table top with no raising of the roadbed
I am debating whether to do that or use Wonderland Scenic roadbed over the homasote
Most mainlines had an elevation for water drainage

pdlethbridge

It looks fine. I have seen many places where the rails were not raised, particularly on older not well maintained roads.

uncbob

It sure makes laying the track easier

pdlethbridge

Lastest news from the layout. I have completed the mainline. I laid the last piece of track tonight and have just finished running 2 engines a few laps each. It's so cool to have a mainline that is twice the length. I was planning on reinstalling all the newly moved switches. That will take a few days as all switches have moved even a little. The wiring will involve 3 DS64s that I use to help control from my hand held controller (NCE) As the switches were moved, new holes for the wires will have to be drilled. Only one set of switches will be operated together, all the rest are singles. Those 2 switches will be the ones leading to the crossover in the lower right.
As all the switch machines are off the switches, they will be easier to wire at my work bench.

jonathan

P.D.,

Following your progress with interest.  Any chance you'll throw a few photos in to whet our appetite?

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

I hope so, I'm handicapped so all things go ssssllloooowwww!

WGL

I'd like to see it working.  Then, maybe I could understand it, compared to my simple layout.  Crossovers intrigue me when I see them at train shows.

pdlethbridge

It might take me a few days, but I'll try to post pictures. I just can't work as fast as I'd like. The switches will have to be rewired first and tested and that should take maybe a week or 2. All the cars and locos are packed away for now.
I'll be laying some more track in the yard to the left, but right now it is used for tools and track supplies. The other end has the buildings and other stuff on it. I added some ties where I had cut them for the rail joiners, so now there are no bare spots between sections of track. Every thing seems to run smoothly with no slow downs or flickering lights.
While I was looking into where the Maine Central used crossings, I found that they crossed a Boston and Maine line in New Hampshire and were until recently, still using a Ball signal. Guess I'm going to make one.
Look at the photos near the bottom of the page
http://www.thebluecomet.com/mecmountain.html

jonathan

I keep looking at your track plan, enjoying the cleverness of your design.  It has so many advantages:  trains can reverse directions, and tracks, on the double track mainline, without a reverse loop. (If DCC) you can run multiple trains, only having to pay attention to one shared turnaround.  Those are just a couple. 

Did you follow a published track plan, or did you have a moment of inspiration?

The only disadvantage I can see is the possibility of a long train meeting itself at the crossing, if you set the turnouts to run continuously on the inner loop.

Great plan, man.

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

It basically started out as a folded over dogbone with the right tracks climbing a hill to go over the lower tracks. When I looked at the plan, I could see that I wouldn't need a grade, just some switches and a crossing. If you look at the plan, pretend that the right pair of tracks are above the left pair.
I have the ability to control the passing siding switches individually and my trains won't be any longer than 10 cars

pdlethbridge

A little more progress tonight. I got three switches wired correctly to the first of 3 DS64 units. These let me control my turnouts from my hand held power cab. A nice feature! I also remounted the control panel for the power cab to  a location that gives me better access to all my tracks. I also wired up a couple of more switch machines so they will be ready to install on the layout. Now I have to get more wire for the other 9 switch machines.
I just finished the wiring of the 4 turnouts to the first DS64. They all work the same, 1 is straight and 2 is curved on the power cab. The second Ds64 is ready to be installed in its new location. It will be centered more to the turnouts it controls.
Everything will be out of sight in one form or other. I have material for the skirt that will hide the legs and the things I store under the layout. I plan on using a small building to hide the controls for the turntable.

pdlethbridge

I hooked up the last of the DS64's to my switch machines and everything is running fine. All my DS64's have been moved to better position them to the switches they control and to allow the skirt to hide them. All is going well in the Flour city ( old name because of the abundance of flour mills, present name for Rochester is the flower city)