News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout modifications. now with more pictures

Started by pdlethbridge, April 01, 2010, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I was running 2 engines tonight and was having a ball. I did notice that one switch I use really doesn't need a switch motor as the engines are always coming from the 2 track side from either route. It would make sense to eliminate it all together and let the engine throw the switch. If I do any reverse moves, it would be rare and I would only go where the switch was thrown. Any thoughts?

OldTimer

Well, it's your railroad, but on mine, that would be unacceptable because:  Derailments are Unacceptable.   

Any switch machine uses a spring to hold the points in place.  Peco uses a spring built into the turnout.  Some manual ground throws are un-sprung, requiring the modeler to put a spring in the linkage.  When you run through a turnout against the points, the spring resists the point movement.  A diesel will probably weigh enough to push the points out of the way, but leading trucks on steam locos or cars like flat cars, that are difficult to bring up to standard weight, might not be able to overcome the force of the spring and be derailed.

Additionally, you are inviting electrical problems.  Insulated frog turnouts are probably okay, but any sort of wiring that powers the frog will cause a short.  And remember that DCC is much less tolerant of momentary shorts than straight DC.

In the interest of full disclosure, LOL, I have to tell you that trolley lines often used spring loaded switches in reverse loops and similar situations where the direction of travel was always the same.  Trolley modelers do the same thing, but both rails are the same polarity, so there are no electrical issues.
Old Timer

Just workin' on the railroad.

pdlethbridge

Well, I have the same issue. The trains are always running in the same direction,  from 2 tracks to one. There is no chance for derailment because the wheels of the engine or car would close the points of my atlas code 83 custom line turnouts. They move very easily. As I'm always moving through the frog first, there shouldn't be a problem. I will be testing it today with cars, diesels and steam to see if there are any problems. The switch machine will go back on if the is. If I wanted to, I could always wire those 2 turnouts together.

jonathan

P.D.,

I have a siding, where the trains always exit, or pass by, in the same direction.  I never put a switch machine in the code 83 #6 Atlas custom turnout (I did drill the hole for the machine, just in case).  Both steam and diesels push the points out of the way with no problems, neither shorts nor derailments.  I've done it so much, I never even think about that turnout.  Saved a few bucks as well. 

There's that two cents.  Here's two more:

Recently, I've started installing a bent wire 'spring' that connects from the hole in the throw bar to the first nail hole in the turnout.  These are for the turnouts I can reach easily.  I think I first read the idea in a post from ABC.  Works like a charm. 

Still have to use machines for the out-of-reach turnouts.

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

and for those switches I can reach, I use caboose ground throws.

OldTimer

Jonathan, I'm glad the spring "switch machine" is working for you.  It was my post and I was afraid I hadn't explained it that well.  Wish it was my idea, but it isn't.  The idea came from an article in Model Railroader several years ago.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jonathan

Thanks for sharing the info, Old Timer.  You helped me out greatly.

I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to size and bend the wire to shape.  I have found, if you don't bend the wire all the way to 90 degrees, the wire will stay in its holes without coming loose.  Can't recall if you mentioned that, too, but it just occurred to me as I was fitting the wire into the holes.

Regards,

Jonathan

p.s. Sorry, PD, guess I highjacked a bit.

pdlethbridge

I'll take you out to the shed later! :o :o :o

pdlethbridge

Well, here are the photos

In this view notice a couple of things. Most noticeably the buss wires with the suitcase clips, and the white object just below my NCE power cab is 1 of the 3 DS 64's from Digitrax that control my switches.

Clear Block

Nice Layout!  Is that a Walthers 90' Turntable?
What radius are you using for the inside and outside curves?

uncbob

Always nice to look at layout in progress pics
As they say a pic is worth 10k words

pdlethbridge

The turntable is a 90' Walthers unit that I built and motorized. It is decoder equipped for speed and turning on and off the roundhouse lights. The curves are 19 1/2" r and 22" r on the layout. Table is supported by 1" x 2" framing with 2" x 2" legs set at 32 " high. It's great for viewing sitting down. The table top is 1/2" plywood under 1/2" homasote. Works great. The curves are slightly elevated on the outside by about 1/32". Looks great and no operating problems. I use 3-4' double fluorescents for lighting. The big panels are 4' x 4' while the smaller ones are 2' x 4'. Actually the layout is constructed using the 2' x 4' sections everywhere. I just doubled them on the ends.

J3a-614

P.D.;

90-foot table, 19-inch curves, 10-car trains--just the sort of layout for an operation in New England with 2-8-2s and 4-6-2's as the biggest power, and secondary assignments handled by your beloved 2-6-0s; nice, relaxing operating style, too.

Almost enough to make one reconsider big-time (though still relaxed, if you know the crews on the C&O and N&W/Virginian) coal haulers in West Virginia!

pdlethbridge

It's so relaxed it sometimes puts me to sleep ;D

jonathan

Great set up, PD.  Thanks for sharing!

You left me wanting more--particularly, the crossing/turnaround at the far end.  Got just a taste in your last photo.  Looks like worlds of fun.

What will you use for backdrops?

Regards,

Jonathan