News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Acela set runs terrible

Started by Rob, May 08, 2007, 01:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I bought the Acela DCC ready set for me and my son this past week and I have to say, right out of the box I'm dissapointed.

1. The passenger cars and lead and rear engines do not free roll at all.  I can hear the powered car struggle to push this train around the track.

2. The powered car only works if I orientate the car in one position only. If I flip the powered car around and it gets to the curve track it powers down.

3. I really have to give this train some power to get it to even move smoothly. To get this train to move at a slow speed I have to crank the dial to 40 while my dinky little Kato SD40 I only have to dial it up to 15. And this is AFTER I cleaned the track and all the wheels.

The only thing positive about this set is that it looks great but I didn't buy this set so it look pretty and collect dust sitting there on the track.

I'd like to know wether I got a bum set or not. For the money I paid for this set I thought I would get quality.

r0bert

sounds like a messed up truck on the power car, and I would return it for exchange to the retailer, or contact Bachmann's service dept.
as to this one'
QuoteI really have to give this train some power to get it to even move smoothly. To get this train to move at a slow speed I have to crank the dial to 40 while my dinky little Kato SD40 I only have to dial it up to 15. And this is AFTER I cleaned the track and all the wheels.

this is normal, the acela has DCC on board, and all the units are lighted besides,
when operating DCC equipment on DC(analog) power it takes a higher throttle setting to make it go.
Basicly you have to power up the DCC decoder which then sends power to the motor and loco lights, instead of just power the motor directly
(your Kato).

Rob

Did a search on this set. This review isn't positive and I currently don't have the kind of skill to mod it like he did just to get the cars to free roll like they are supposed to.

http://www.nscale.net/Reviews-index-req-showcontent-id-12.html

Rob

I'm dissapointed. I thought I would get help from someone that works at Bachman or has a fix for this. Maybe lubricants for the trucks?

Any help would be appreciated.

r0bert

Rob

I just sent it back to Bachmann with the reciept and warranty card. I hope they send it back better because my son really likes this set.