News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Toby's speed

Started by TTTE Wikia, April 08, 2010, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTTE Wikia

I just bought Toby, Mavis, and Salty. And first off I'd like to say they are great models. But Toby won't run until I'm up to about 35 on the Bachmann controller. So I was wondering is this normal, or do I have a defective Toby? Any help is appreciated. :)
Visit the Thomas and Friends Wikia!

shining time

im having a similar problem with toby and also with james/gordon james runs slow period but gordon runs fine except they all have got this really weird oder to them like when you soder something together please let me know if this is something to worry about and if my toby is defected too. :'( :'( :'( :( :( :(
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

PerfectPercy

I think I know your odor. Every one of my engines has that odor after running them well. Thomas had no odor but after running him for 20 feet, with no load I might add, he had the odor. At this point I don't think it is an issue.

On the speed note. I have never seen an engine to react right away on a transformer/controller. After 10 smph, okay, but usually when you get to 20, it will start to move. It's like they need a bit more juice to get going, so the extremely slow speeds will probably not happen. Now that I think of it, the new ones (Edward, Mavis, Salty) might react better but I'd have to test it.

StanierJack

Most models have that sort of odour to them for some reason.

alex wittman

I think you can buy some conductive lube from bachmann and put some on tobys wheels, and clean the tracks thouroughly, electrical contact might be the problem, as I did.

hope this helps

TTTE Wikia

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on April 09, 2010, 12:11:03 PM
On the speed note. I have never seen an engine to react right away on a transformer/controller. After 10 smph, okay, but usually when you get to 20, it will start to move. It's like they need a bit more juice to get going, so the extremely slow speeds will probably not happen. Now that I think of it, the new ones (Edward, Mavis, Salty) might react better but I'd have to test it.

That's why I was asking. Because Salty and Mavis started moving around 15. So 35 is normal for the older models? ???

Quote from: alex wittman on April 09, 2010, 06:24:33 PM
I think you can buy some conductive lube from bachmann and put some on tobys wheels, and clean the tracks thouroughly, electrical contact might be the problem, as I did.

hope this helps

I don't think it's the track. I will look into the lube. But he is brand new, so I didn't think I'd have this sort of problem.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, 35 is a little high. The Bachmann controllers that come with the sets are kind of weak. Hmm. That odor... My Bachmann models don't do that, but both Duck and the Hornby Thomas do.

PerfectPercy

That is a major surprise that there is no odor for you. It may even be faint on some engines (Edward, Salty, Mavis), but after a bit of running James and Percy can be noticeably smelly.

shining time

very true i checked the tracks and they are clean but I'm going to get a second opinion from a model train dealer i go to & ask him thanks for the ideas though

TTTE Wikia

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on April 11, 2010, 01:56:05 AM
Well, 35 is a little high. The Bachmann controllers that come with the sets are kind of weak.

So what do you suggest? Or what does anyone suggest?

PerfectPercy

I say that Bachmann controllers aren't terrible. They get the job done, but there are better. Depends on what you are running with this. How big of a layout are you running with this controller as it could be too small for sufficient running capabilities.

There are nicer controllers. I only have a Bachmann one for the Gordon and the Express Set I purchased a few years back. I use a controller (not sure if it's the brand) called Tech II. It works fine. I plan on using 1 per track on my layout and 1 for each yard.

You could also wire up your track in different places to spread the electricity more.

My Percy and James start at around 30-35 with my Tech II controllers, so I would expect Toby to be a bit better (being newer), but not by much because of 2 reasons:

1. In my opinion there can be better controllers than the Bachmann ones (depending on which you have, if it is the blue Thomas controller then I stand with my statement)

2. Toby isn't an extremely amazing runner, but I'm not saying he's a bad runner. Bigger engines probably have better connectivity.

In conclusion if you are truly worried, ask a model train expert or get a different controller.

Hope this helps and good luck.

shining time

hey i got a second opinion and he said it is probably the motor and to run it until it conks

TTTE Wikia

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on April 12, 2010, 04:48:03 PM
I say that Bachmann controllers aren't terrible. They get the job done, but there are better. Depends on what you are running with this. How big of a layout are you running with this controller as it could be too small for sufficient running capabilities.

There are nicer controllers. I only have a Bachmann one for the Gordon and the Express Set I purchased a few years back. I use a controller (not sure if it's the brand) called Tech II. It works fine. I plan on using 1 per track on my layout and 1 for each yard.

You could also wire up your track in different places to spread the electricity more.

My Percy and James start at around 30-35 with my Tech II controllers, so I would expect Toby to be a bit better (being newer), but not by much because of 2 reasons:

1. In my opinion there can be better controllers than the Bachmann ones (depending on which you have, if it is the blue Thomas controller then I stand with my statement)

2. Toby isn't an extremely amazing runner, but I'm not saying he's a bad runner. Bigger engines probably have better connectivity.

In conclusion if you are truly worried, ask a model train expert or get a different controller.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the help. :) My layout is just a temporary oval set. :P And I have a normal Bachmann controller not the blue Thomas one.

shining time

my controller is a trainmaster 1370 don't quote me on the name.

PerfectPercy

Hmm, well it might be kind of the same thing. They don't always start at 0. None of mine do. It is a slim chance of it being the motor. Toby may be a late starter, that's a reasonable statement. James for example is terribly slow at starting and he has the 6 drive wheels like Toby. I honestly wouldn't worry greatly about it.