News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 0-6-0 and USRA Short Tender

Started by Rutland1952, April 09, 2010, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rutland1952

I'm interested in modeling a Rutland 0-6-0 using the new and improved 0-6-0 with a USRA Short Tender. Are they compatible, and can they be easily electrically linked together? The slope back tender 0-6-0 has gotten some good reviews. Thanks.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"

skipgear

The drawbar can be modified or you can build a new one. Otherwise, the spectrum tenders make a wonderful upgrade to the 0-6-0....

The tender is an old Atlas from the 0-8-0 with Bachmann spectrum trucks under it and pickup wipers manufactured to fit the stock frame.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Bucksco

Rutland1952

Thank you Skipgear for the photos and inspiration.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"

skipgear

You're welcome. There are more photo's of the rebuild here -

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/2106

I have a few more to do eventually. The D-30 was a plentiful loco on the B&O and the Bachmann 0-6-0 represents it well.

BTW - Jack or Mr. Bachmann...... is there any way you could convince the powers that be to release the B&O 2-6-2 as an 0-6-0 with the short USRA tender instead. The USRA 0-6-0 (of which this is a model) shipped with a USRA tender, not the slope back. The fist thing to do to the out of the box B&O 2-6-2 is to remove the pilot and trailing truck and make it a propper 0-6-0.
Tony Hines

Rutland1952

The 0-6-0 has worked out really well. It runs beautifully (once I made sure the drawbar was making contact with the locomotive), pulls well and is very smooth. All I am awaiting is the shell for the 2-6-2 tender; the new Bachmann parts online ordering is amazingly fast. I ordered the tender shell yesyerday -Sunday- and I received an e mail this afternoon (Monday) saying it shipped. :) The locomotive and slopeback tender are decaled for Rutland, but I shall be replacing the tender shell with a more prototypical one soon. The graphite smokebox got a coat of Neolube and looks great.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"

skipgear

Unfortunately, it will take more than a shell. The slope back tender is a shorter wheelbase than the short USRA that the loco comes with. You will need to lengthen the frame on the slope back, unless the shell comes with the tender floor also. If that is the case, you can just swap trucks.

The best answer is the Spectrum short USRA -

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3048

It has all wheel pickup and rolls much freer than the stock tender. You will gain reliablity and pulling power by putting one behind the loco. The stock tender pickup works, but that is about all I can say for it. Going to a tender with needle point, all wheel pickup does wonders for the loco.
Tony Hines

Rutland1952

The USRA short tender shell arrived today with floor and the replacement was flawless. Thank you Bachmann parts department for incredibly great service. I would include a picture of the finished product but I could only get the image size down to 132K, 7K above the limit. The loco runs flawlessly.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"