News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Woodpulp Cars

Started by WGL, April 14, 2010, 03:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

The ends of the  athearn 40' pulpwood racks are unprototypical for the MP, whose ends were old recycled corrugated boxcar ends.

J3a-614

Blast, I am looking to see what you're speaking of, but can't find anything!

Would you have a photo available of the prototype?  All I can find are pix of Athearn's model, and other cars that are way more modern.

Len

MP 728027 & 728085 (became AAIX 8):

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irbricksceo

at five and a half years, this may be the oldest thread revival I've ever seen!
Modeling NYC in N

Searsport

I see this is an old thread, and WGL from Minnesota is probably long ago satisfied, and only wanted one car anyway. But if he wants more, Athearn re-issued their 40-ft car for the SOO in three road #s in 2015 and whilst sold out at Athearn they are still around in some places - I got all three on ebay recently. It is an old MDC Roundhouse model and has molded-on grabs, etc, and so needs detailing if that matters, and it comes without load, but Athearn have also produced a very nice cast resin, painted load with earlier releases. It suffers slightly in having some displaced logs on top which means that you cannot put two on adjacent cars without a bit of surgery. Athearn also sell the load separately, Athearn #90434 Pulpwood Load.

The Atlas Masterline GSC 40-ft pulp car is a much better model but the load is hopeless - a hollow plastic molding that looks toylike and the painting does not help, but see Chooch below.

Walthers do some Seico 52-ft and CC&F 50-ft bulkhead flatcars in their 920 (i.e. Proto) range that are very nice and have some schemes that would not be lost sheep in Minnesota, I am pretty sure that the Wisconsin Central is amongst them. They also make a good-looking resin load for their 50-ft cars (Walthers 949-3100 Pulpwood Load).

Finally, Chooch make some great looking cast resin painted pulpwood loads for all the cars mentioned above. I rate Chooch for all kinds of HO loads. They have their own website, easily found.

Hope this helps,
Bill.