News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by Lake Wylie, April 14, 2010, 09:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake Wylie

I'm new to this hobby, and have a question that I bet has been asked many times.  I have two HO sets, and one N.  All the trains are Bachmann.  Most of the HO couplers are the same, but I have received a few cars with different couplers.  Is there a quick and easy way to get and change the couplers so that they all match?  How do I tell which couplers I have and which couplers I need?  All the N couplers are the same, so there is nothing to change with them.

ABC

This is very subjective depending on how old your rolling stock is. Kadee however makes couplers that are compatible with talgo trucks which typically have horn-hook couplers, most newer rolling stock has body mounted knuckle couplers (usually magnetic). Here's a photo of a Kadee #148 Kuckle coupler and how you would install a body mounted coupler on most rolling stock.

Here is a picture of talgo trucks with a horn-hook coupler

Jhanecker2

kadee makes all sort of knuckle couplers and the equipment to change them . Please go to their website to check out what conversion equipment you will need .  Also make sure to aquire a coupler height gauge to measure the coupler height and to measure the clearance of the hook from the bottom of the rails.   John II.

Doneldon

I cannot overemphasize the need to use the coupler height gauge.  It is critical to proper coupler operation.

ben_not_benny

Is Kadee's #147/#148 an exact fit for cars with Bachmann's under/center shank couplers. I've got a bunch of cars lying around with broken Mark I's. (plastic springs broke off after a few years of use)

ABC

Kadee #5's, #58's and #148's are the type of couplers you want to use for newer silver-series Bachmann rolling stock with the exception of passenger cars and cabooses that require different couplers for optimal operation. I think #37's/#38's are appropriate for older Bachmann rolling stock with talgo trucks and cabooses (truck mounted couplers).

ben_not_benny

I installed Kadee #5's on some Silver Series cars today.

Bachmann's coupler box isn't a perfect fit for #5's, the bronze spring requires some modification for the coupler to work properly. (took me about 10 minutes for each coupler)

They're much better than the E-Z Mate Mark I's I used to have.

jward

that copper centering spring is the main reason i switched to kadee 148s. they have metal whiskers on the sides that eliminate that spring plate. much easier to install and get working properly.

as for the plastic knuckle couplers, i use them until they become unreliable, then replace them with kadee 148s.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

FPVonk

Hello I live in the Netherlands and I have a question about couplers. I have bought a lot of wagons, cars and loco's with American couplers, is there a firm that makes also european couplers such as Märklin in the USA. I need those to replace for example the kadee couplers.

Thanks for your help.

fred

ABC

Hey Fred, are you looking for hook and loop couplers? Can I see a picture of the type of European coupler you use?

FPVonk

Quote from: ABC on May 12, 2010, 06:34:50 PM
Hey Fred, are you looking for hook and loop couplers? Can I see a picture of the type of European coupler you use?

Hello,
Thanks for reply.
Here are the couplers used by Märklin, the Roco couplers are almost the same.

Also I have BLi loco's and I would like to know if I can replace the couplers, if there are replacements at all.

Fred Vonk

ABC

I have searched a lot of different places, but the trouble is that I can only find couplers made to convert European wagons and cars to American type couplers. The only way it can be done is to remove all of your American couplings and existing boxes and then body mount NEM type boxes in their place. The more expensive and less desired solution to matching all of your couplings is to replace all of your European couplers with American type, which can be done rather easily, the downside is that you now have American type couplings and have likely spent a good amount of money.