Started by Mr. C, April 18, 2010, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I recently purchased a new dcc transformer/controller,
I have 2 questions
#1  how do you hook up switches to it--
#2 how do you know what functions each engine has 

ABC

I have 2 questions for you, what DCC system did you buy and what brand locos did you buy and do they have factory installed DCC?
Going with limited information, with most DCC systems they do not have an accessory output so you would have to tap in to the DCC going to the track but this is a very bad idea. The best solution is an old wall-wort power supply or an old DC power source from a previous layout.
Bachmann DCC locos (excluding the steamers equipped with Tsunami decoders) allow you to change the address, dim or turn off/on the light, change what direction it consider forward, and control the speed. With an advanced DCC system, NOT INCLUDING the E-Z Command, you can program advanced configuration variables (CVs) including BEMF and speed tables if applicable. But Bachmann 1 amp decoders do not have BEMF and have limited CVs.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Mr. C on April 18, 2010, 10:21:52 AM
#2 how do you know what functions each engine has 

Generally you have to look in the manufacturer's instruction manual.  If this did not come with your locomotive, you can find it on line.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mr. C

Thanx,I thought you had to buy a special uniit

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on April 18, 2010, 10:32:42 AM
Bachmann DCC locos (excluding the steamers equipped with Tsunami decoders) allow you to change the address, dim or turn off/on the light, change what direction it consider forward, and control the speed.

Are you saying that the Bachmann EZ Command will not change the address of a Spectrum steam engine equipped with the Tsunami decoder?
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 18, 2010, 09:29:20 PMAre you saying that the Bachmann EZ Command will not change the address of a Spectrum steam engine equipped with the Tsunami decoder?
No, I was not describing any functions of Bachmann locos equipped with OEM Tsunami decoders, I was only describing the functions of the Bachmann 1 Amp decoders. Obviously the OEM decoders allow all the functions listed, in the end it seems that I worded it poorly, I may have rephrased it or removed some of it, but I don't remember.

Jim Banner

The Bachmann E-Z Command will change the address of any DCC decoder including the Tsunami.  The only exception would be a decoder that was locked by a previous programmer.

Many decoders, including the Tsunami, have a lock feature.  CV16 has to be set equal to CV15 in order to unlock the decoder and allow changes to be made to the decoder's programming.  New DCC-on-board locomotives and new decoders are shipped unlocked.  So the only way you can end up with a locked decoder is by getting a used locomotive or a used decoder, or by programming it to the locked state using a more comprehensive system than the E-Z Command.  If this happens, anyone that can program the full range of CV's can unlock the decoder for you.  If you do not know what lock code was used, no problem.  Just try all eight possible values, 0 through 7.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.