News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Defective Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by Bo_Diddley, April 20, 2010, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bo_Diddley

OK, this too makes sense.  Unless the problem is a minor one, I don't see how the loco is salvageable.  Since I could detect an acrid burning smell, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if something has melted inside too...

The store I purchased it from: Chinook & Hobby West, Calgary, AB.  It's a full-sized stand-alone building...  I would assume they are an authorized dealer...

ABC

Yep, most brick & mortars are, so you should be fine. It will be interesting to see what your replacement is though.. But if you do get a DCC loco back, you don't need to make any changes, but replacing the decoder with the two metal jumpers improves DC operation compared to leaving the decoder in, but it will still run on DC if you leave the decoder in.

full maxx

I sent in my 2-8-0 that had crashed on the floor three times and they are sending me a new unit (also sent the $25) so I hope it will be a spectrum line and not standard... as I read this I am wondering ... maybe they saved a lot of the spectrum engines to send as replacements of damaged spectrum engines...I just hope there are no functionality problems as my little engineer will be crushed
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on April 21, 2010, 10:21:24 PMI sent in my 2-8-0 that had crashed on the floor three times and they are sending me a new unit (also sent the $25) so I hope it will be a spectrum line and not standard... as I read this I am wondering ... maybe they saved a lot of the spectrum engines to send as replacements of damaged spectrum engines...I just hope there are no functionality problems as my little engineer will be crushed
I am confused, potentially because you may be confused. Brad's issue was in that he had a non-DCC Spectrum unit that was really old. The now standard line 2-8-0's come with DCC and are equivalent in every piece except for they have a 3-pole instead of a 5-pole motor, that is the only difference there are no other differences (except the standard line loco is cheaper).

Doneldon

ABC-
No, you are confused because you are confused.  Read Full Maxx's post again.  He is explicit that his issue was a broken loco, not a frying loco, and he states he hopes he will get an older Spectrum replacement instead of the newer non-Spectrum loco with a lesser motor.  He is merely stating that he hopes his replacement loco has no problems.  I agree with him and hope he gets a loco which is equivalent to what broke.

ABC

Quote from: Doneldon on April 22, 2010, 12:03:16 AMHe is explicit that his issue was a broken loco, not a frying loco, and he states he hopes he will get an older Spectrum replacement instead of the newer non-Spectrum loco with a lesser motor.
The locomotives are equivalent, the motors are also equivalent even though the former had 5 poles and the later has 3 poles, the 3 pole motor actually runs a little better than its predecessor, the 5 pole motor. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the standard line 2-8-0's, I know have 2 of them and 5 of the spectrum, and the newer standard line ones actually perform a little better than the older spectrum ones. There never was an issue with the standard line 2-8-0s. I know several people who bought Bachmann 2-8-0s on my and others recommendation, and out of the whole lot there has been nothing but flawless operation. Often times people's locos won't run as well as they like initially, but after breaking them in they run fine. But instead of breaking them in the attempt to lubricate the loco and in the process over-lubricate the loco or use non-plastic-compatible lubes causing poor running.
The bottom line is that the standard line motor is not inferior, but actually slightly superior or equivalent to the spectrum motor.

Doneldon

ABC-
Please relax, in whatever color floats your boat, er, sends your train down the track.  Did you like my turnout from rhyming to alliteration?
D

Bo_Diddley

Now it's me who's confused--LOL.  I though that "Spectrum" was now Bachmann's standard line for steamers???  In any event, it would seem as though I did get an old unit.  Who knows how long it sat at the store?  For $180/Canadian, they better come through on this--LOL.

ABC

The locomotive was originally made in the Bachmann Spectrum line. The Bachmann Spectrum line is the premier or top line for Bachmann. Just this particular locomotive was transferred to the standard line because they do not feel that it meets the quality of the rest of the spectrum line locos. As the release more and more spectrum locos the original spectrum locos aren't going to be as good as the newer spectrum locos.

Doneldon

Bo-
ABC is right.  It's not that Bachmann has decreased the quality of their Consolidations so they don't live up to Spectrum standards, so much as that the Spectrum standards have improved to the point that some of the older designs (and the Connie is getting a little long in the tooth) aren't up to the improved standards of the newest products.  

If I had to, I would predict that Bachmann will update the Connie and reintroduce it to the Spectrum line some day.  The 2-8-0 was not only one of the most popular (read, "lots of them were sold") locos in real life; Bachmann also sold a gazillion of them and made tons of money doing so.  A follow-on, updated Spectrum Connie would certainly yield another pile of cash, and it would be a lot cheaper in real dollars for them to update what they already have than it was to start from scratch those many years ago when they put out the original Spectrum 2-8-0.  And it would also be cheaper than starting a whole new locomotive which wasn't as big of a seller to the 1:1 railroads as the Connie was, and would probably not generate as much interest (equals sales) in the 1:87 world.
D

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Atlantic Central

No, it is !:87.

AND, actually, they where using a skew wound three pole motor when they still came in Spectrum boxes. They had made that change some time ago.

The "NEW" Standard line 2-8-0 is EXACTLY the same as the Spectrum version that came right before it. The packaging, the lack of sound versions, and the limited roadname selection are the only differences.

The packaging alone saved them a lot of money in production and shipping.

Over the years they have used several different motors, all the same in quality and performance - just ask me, I have eight Bachmann 2-8-0's that span almost every production run, they all run the same. Some with straight wound 5 pole motors, some with skew wound 3 pole motors.

Down grading the 2-8-0 to the Standard line is like another poster said, a reflection of increased standards for the Spectrum line, not a reduction in quality or features of the 2-8-0. They also did this to the GE 70 Ton loco. I have both versins of those as well. The new Standard version is actually much better than the Spectrum version from 15 years ago.

To the OP, if your 2-8-0 came in a black box, it is older production, maybe 3-4 years. It is unlikely that it "went bad" on the shelf, except that dried up gear grease may have caused it to run bad and damage itself.

But again, Bachmann will take care of it.

Sheldon

bruceallen123

Mine wasn't DCC equipped either.  It must be an older unit since the Western Pacific roadname isn't even offered in the 2-8-0 anymore.  I sent mine off for repair today.  I spoke to a girl named Laura at Customer Service and she told me the turnaround was approximately 4 weeks...

Good luck, Diddley.  Let's hope our stories both have a happy ending...

pdlethbridge

I think they did that with the H16-44, it was a spectrum unit when I bought it. Not any more

Bo_Diddley

My 2-8-0 came in an oversized black box with gold lettering... The engine was also surrounded by some kind of spongy-foam material which was also black... Where these the old runs?