News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pre-project Forney Advice/trade/etc.

Started by Matt Bumgarner, May 13, 2007, 08:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Bumgarner

I am soon going to begin my project of bashing an On30 Forney 2-4-4T into the Lawndale #1, an 0-4-4T. For project highlights, I need to a) drop the pilot truck, b) shorten the frame and smokebox just a bit c) modify the tender, and d) modify the steel cab to include a wood panel below the cab windows (the Spectrum wood cab is vastly different than the Lawndale's, but the steel cab is a dead nuts match for window and door pattern.)

My initial project concerns are first, the cost. With the current offering of the two undecorated models, I basically could

a) buy one of each and swap the boiler and cab from the outside frame to inside frame models. Easiest option, but most expensive. From the looks of the online PDF parts diagrams (Thanks for acting on that suggestion Mr. B), this definitely can be done. And definitely expensive!

b) buy the inside frame SR&RL model and hope Bachmann will sell me a steel cab. But I have heard they don't do that? Can anyone confirm?

c) Do the same as (b) above, but hope one of you out there in On30 land have a steel cab you want to trade?

Of course, I could scratchbuild a cab, but I really don't have the talent or time or most importantly, the desire to do so. Not real sure on how easy it is to remove the yellow lettering from the lettered models either.

Anyway, any thoughts on this project before the hacking begins? And yes, I have looked at Grandt Line for additional detail parts, etc, but right now I want to concentrate on the highlights mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for offering your advice.

Matt

br549

Hello Matt :)
I dont have the parts you are requesting but some sound advice.
"There is never any reason for the $ spent on our hobby, Just personal Gratification"As for your endeavor, The $ spent on a "donor" loco brings the exact parts you need plus some very valuable parts for future needs. 
From the sound of it you really dont want to have to scratch build  but the truth to be known you soon will. ;)
My advice compare the costs and the work involved in each method of construction you are willing to do then make your choice.
Me? If the donor loco would sincerely do the job thats the route I would go no doubt. Besides you cant have enough spare parts....
Best regards, BobH