News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New layout and some questions

Started by astrotrain, April 25, 2010, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

here is a suggestion. Real long mainline, grades room for large yard, room for lots of sidings, branch lines, etc.
All curves are 24" outside and 22" inside

Hi, I'm Paul

astrotrain

Thanks that looks like a fun track.I will take it into consideration.

pdlethbridge

A quick look and I can see about a 12" difference in height between the loops on the right top. That's about 1" per 8' of rise, or about a 1% grade. That will give you a grade challenge and I would think that the scenery could be spectacular. The straight sections don't have to be straight, but could gently curve to give the impression of distance. There is plenty of opportunities for bridges and rivers. There could be a small helper yard at the beginning of the grade, and the main yard could be off the left side upper loop track where it crosses the 2 double curves. With the use of crossings at this spot and a reverse loop situation, parallel yard leads could be made to the yard for both freight and passenger.

astrotrain

My last layout was a mountain layout.So as I mention earlier this will more  urban.I notice all the straights'looks kind of like a slot car track.I will more than likely do a point to point with alot of switching.Some small rolling hills in a few places.

jward

i'm not a big fan of straight track either. it just makes the layout look smaller. that said, you can replace the straights with very gently curved flex track, say a 72" radius or so. that will allow you to wind a little around a town or mountain or other obstacle. for me, the point is not being able to see from one end of the layout to the other. i think it adds to the illusion when you can't see how short your trains really are.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

I made the straights straight for speed not beauty or operation. Those long straights could always have gentle curves and go into hiding at various places. This plan was a mock up to show the potential of the space. It was not a concrete plan, more like paper mache.

astrotrain

I am close to picking my plan.The track will be point to point.I am going with 30in wide shelf 18ft long legs U shape.That will leave plent of room for spurs here and their.Then later I could allways connect the loop to make a complete loop.

uncbob

On Point to Point

Do you turn the engine around at each end point ?

If not how does it get back ?

astrotrain

Well this layout call for 2 turntables at each end of the route.But one can allways use reverse.I have 1 table from my last layout that I will use.

pdlethbridge

pdlethbridge

Could we see your plan, sounds interesting.

Doneldon

Astro-
The May (I think) Model Railroader has a plan for a wye with a folding leg so it is out of the way unless you are running trains.
     --D

astrotrain

Hi all.I took some pics of the layout.My plan is from 3 different plans I put togeather.Right now it wll be point to point.But it will one day connect to make a huge square.Here is a link to my album.My other hobby is astrophotgraphy.Their are like 33 pages of my pics toys and family.I have decided on a Digitrax syytem for control.All mainline switches will be controlled and others will be manual.Comments welcome.THANKS BOB

http://tinyurl.com/33wpqng

pdlethbridge

Does your cat help lay the track? ;D ;D ;D  My cat got a lot of hair on the layout and I was constantly cleaning hair from the tracks, engines, cars and tunnels. My brother banned his cats from the basement for the same reason.

Colorado_Mac

Very neatly done.  That will be sweet.
The "spokesmodel" is a great addition - all layouts should have one!   ;)