News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track #4 vs #5 turnout question....

Started by John Murphy, May 13, 2007, 11:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Hunt,

Brilliant reply to John and me!  Thanks, con mucho gusto! Alan Gartner's link I had seen a while ago, and had forgotten about it.  I will read it and toast your health!

Best Wishes,

Jack

John Murphy

Did a test last night w/EZ Track #5 turnout and motorized handcar (shortest wheelbase I have.  On straight DC, Handcar sparked and stalled on the metal frog.  Turnout was straight out of the box, no mods.
   Any ideas on what went wrong?  I tested no other loco, and am seriously rethinking my Christmas display to be only 4x4 and three continous, yet seperate loops.  Considering locos I'll be using, this might be best - and that I want to use straight DC.
    I'm seriously doubting EZ Track is best for DCC.  Any suggestions about which track is best for DCC?  I'll be using steam (mostly Spectrum with a smattering of other brands.  (Shortest wheelbase is Spectrum 0-6-0T)  Thanks in advance.
   John Murphy

Hunt

Quote from: John Murphy on May 29, 2007, 09:28:55 PM
Did a test last night w/EZ Track #5 turnout and motorized handcar (shortest wheelbase I have.  On straight DC, Handcar sparked and stalled on the metal frog.  Turnout was straight out of the box, no mods.
   Any ideas on what went wrong?  ...
Sure.

DC or DCC has nothing to do with what you experienced. The same thing would happen on any other brand of #5 turnout with a non-live frog or on a straight track piece with the same length of a rail isolated from power. What happened…  lost contact with power on one side.

Does the Spectrum 0-6-0T make it through?

Attach the wire to polarize the frog and try again. Even doing this you will need some speed for the motorized handcar to make it through the turnout. If it stops again at the frog, follow the instructions on the back of the turnout package about flipping the plug and check the wheel gauge. Does the Spectrum 0-6-0T make it through?

By the way, what was the track plan you used to do the test?
Was it as I suggested or did you have two ovals using two turnouts to connect them with power feeders to each oval from one DC power pack? If the two ovals, where did you place the insulated rail joiners?

John Murphy

Quote from: Hunt on May 30, 2007, 01:19:42 AM
Quote from: John Murphy on May 29, 2007, 09:28:55 PM
   Any ideas on what went wrong?  ...
Sure.

DC or DCC has nothing to do with what you experienced. The same thing would happen on any other brand of #5 turnout with a non-live frog or on a straight track piece with the same length of a rail isolated from power. What happened…  lost contact with power on one side.

Does the Spectrum 0-6-0T make it through?

Attach the wire to polarize the frog and try again. Even doing this you will need some speed for the motorized handcar to make it through the turnout. If it stops again at the frog, follow the instructions on the back of the turnout package about flipping the plug and check the wheel gauge. Does the Spectrum 0-6-0T make it through?

By the way, what was the track plan you used to do the test?
Was it as I suggested or did you have two ovals using two turnouts to connect them with power feeders to each oval from one DC power pack? If the two ovals, where did you place the insulated rail joiners?

I rigged up a test track w/one 9" rerailer track on either end of the straight portion of the #5 turnout hooked up to a standard DC powerpack.  Have not tried other locos yet
   After that debacle, I rethought the layout and came up with a 4'x4' w/ 3 seperate ovals....
    Will try your suggestion, but am having serious 2nd thoughts about EZ Track's flexability (or rather the lack thereof) as far as wiring and track insulation.  I'm disabled, so ease of track assembly is vital.
John Murphy

Hunt

Quote from: John Murphy on May 30, 2007, 10:16:48 PM
   After that debacle, I rethought the layout and came up with a 4'x4' w/ 3 seperate ovals....
    Will try your suggestion, but am having serious 2nd thoughts about EZ Track's flexability (or rather the lack thereof) as far as wiring and track insulation.  I'm disabled, so ease of track assembly is vital.
John Murphy
John,
You were informed a short wheelbase locomotive would not run through a #5 turnout unless it has a polarized frog. Your test proved what you have been told is the case. That is not a debacle. If there is any debacle, it is you did not apply the information you have been given.

You will find no easier track system to use than E-Z Track.  Reading between the lines of what you have written in this and other threads on the Board it is probably best if you avoid track plans requiring the use of any track piece other than straights and curves.   Stick to the basic oval of track. Successful completion of a model railroad track plan requires a fundamental understanding of electric wiring that you seem to have not yet acquired.

John Murphy

Quote from: Hunt on May 30, 2007, 11:09:15 PM
Quote from: John Murphy on May 30, 2007, 10:16:48 PM
John Murphy
John,
You were informed a short wheelbase locomotive would not run through a #5 turnout unless it has a polarized frog. Your test proved what you have been told is the case. That is not a debacle. If there is any debacle, it is you did not apply the information you have been given.

You will find no easier track system to use than E-Z Track.  Reading between the lines of what you have written in this and other threads on the Board it is probably best if you avoid track plans requiring the use of any track piece other than straights and curves.   Stick to the basic oval of track. Successful completion of a model railroad track plan requires a fundamental understanding of electric wiring that you seem to have not yet acquired.

I've wired various HO guage railroads in the 1960's (atlas sectional track) and 2 "N" guage railroads (The last one was a loop to loop with homebuilt track detection, CDS to power turnout and automatic semiphore "motors", even a constant intensity LED headlight which worked (for an E-8).  This last layout used Atlas sectional track, and Atlas, Pico, and Rapido turnouts, and lasted for nearly 9 years (mid-1970's to early- mid-1980's)
   I just started back into HO in the last several years, so you're right, Hunt; this is all brand new to me.  (sigh)  At least I try to gain knowledge, but for me, it seems that EZ Track has definite problems for me.
   Sincerest thanks for putting up with me.  - John Murphy

Hunt

Nope John, I’m not buying into your claims of historical model railroading accomplishments when at the same time you write, "… EZ Track has definite problems for me."

If your disability prevents you from using a track system that uses rail joiners then look into   Life-Like Products Power-Loc side-locking system, it uses no rail joiners. The Power-Loc track is entry-level and has very limited selection; but, someone can build an oval track layout with it.