Differences between Marklin I gauge track to Bachmann G scale track

Started by alex wittman, April 27, 2010, 12:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex wittman

Hello,

I am in the process of making a prototype Gauge 1 thomas with bachmann thomas large scale. anyway, I am looking into tracks, but I want to go with bachmann, but when I found Marklin I gauge then I started thinking, are they different in size? if any one knows, please let me know.

thank you

Kevin Strong

They are the same gauge. That's where the similarities end. I don't recall off the top of my head how tall the Marklin rail is; I believe somewhere around .200" (code 200 in model railroad speak). You may have trouble with the flanges of the Thomas stuff on rail that small hitting the spike detail. They definitely do not connect together.

The Bachmann track is junk. If you're looking for alternatives, go with Aristo, USA, Piko, LGB, Train Line 45, etc. --the good brass track sectional track.

Later,

K

Loco Bill

Bachmann Steel Alloy track is just fine, if it will be used indoors.  I have seen some really nice (even complex) indoor layouts using it. and it is low cost.  If you will run outside then take Kevin's advice.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Steve Stockham

Another thing to remember about Bachmann track is that it only comes in 1 foot straight sections and 4 foot radius (R1) curves. This makes for a very tight turn! The track is strictly indoors and doesn't mate with anybody else's.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

JerryB

Quote from: Steve Stockham on May 05, 2010, 08:07:48 AM
  Another thing to remember about Bachmann track is that it only comes in 1 foot straight sections and 4 foot radius (R1) curves. This makes for a very tight turn! The track is strictly indoors and doesn't mate with anybody else's.

Not quite accurate:

Bachmann's curved track is the same as LGB R1, but it is 2' radius, not 4' radius.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources