News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound and DCC in 2-8-0

Started by jlg759, April 28, 2010, 01:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlg759

Hello I have a spectrum 2-8-0 with sound installed from factory. When I turn on my layout the locomotive begins to make sound without even being addressed is there a way to shut this off so the locomotive only makes sound when addressed through the controller.

Thanks

Joe

richg

You are hearing the air pump. Look at the Bachmann Tsunami PDF file and read the details of the factory installed decoder. All the instructions are there. Similar to reading the owners manual if you own a motor vehicle.

You probably are not aware of it but below is a link to the SoundTraxx site. Store the link in Favorites. Click on Manuals.
Download the manual into your PC.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Rich

Edo

Hello,
I am about to install a Tsunami TSU-1000 in a Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation that is DCC ready.
The installed plug does not have pins 3 or 7.
I believe pin 3 is not normally used but Pin 7 seems to be needed for Function (Blue).
Should I remove the Bachmann PCB and hardwire the TSU-1000?  Or is there a component on the PCB that is not not covered by the TSU-1000?
Thanks   Edo

Jim Banner

The blue wire is not absolutely necessary for the lighting functions to work.  You can instead return the lights to the wheels on one side or the other of the locomotive.  This is known as half wave lighting because the lights work only when the wheels are positive compared to the wheels on the other side of the locmotive.  The upside of this is less load and heating of the decoder.  The downside is slightly dimmer lights and a variation in brightness as you change the speed of any dc locomotive on the track.  You can have the best of both worlds by using a pair of diodes with the bar (cathode) ends toward the light(s) and the other ends connected one to the wheels on one side of the locomotive and the other to the wheels on the other side.  If your locomotive has an incandescent headlight bulb, and most or all do, think about replacing it with a warm white LED.  The regular bulb is somewhat on the dim side, possibly to keep the headlight shell from melting, but an LED with a 1000 ohm resistor in series with either of the leads gives a nice bright headlight with virtually no heating.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

The plug is only for DC operation. I believe the loco has a light bulb but not sure. I have the tender for this loco and the pin 7 on the PC board is used. There is no resistor on the board for the pin 6 headlight lead.
I do know that when you select reverse on the DCC controller, a 220 ohm resistor is put in series with the headlight connection to dim the bulb on my tender via pin 2. I had to cut the PC board trace. This trace is connected to the headlight lead which many are not aware of. A couple years ago, Yampa Bob mentioned the same thing. Other than that, the Bachmann tenders are all compatible.  ;)
I use the tender with a Spectrum 4-6-0 that has a LED headlight and I had to add a 750 ohm resistor for that in the tender.
If you can works at the component level, install a LED like Jim says. Don't forget, LED's are polarity sensitive.

Rich

Edo

Thank you Jim and Rich.
My concern is if the 'Function' blue may be associated with some of the sound functions.
I would prefer to remove the Bachmann PCB and mount the TSU-1000 directly on the heat-sink.
If the PCB is not needed for DCC then there would be more airspace around the DCC assembly.
Edo
BTW I do understand about the lights.

richg

Quote from: Edo on May 09, 2010, 07:02:36 PM
Thank you Jim and Rich.
My concern is if the 'Function' blue may be associated with some of the sound functions.
I would prefer to remove the Bachmann PCB and mount the TSU-1000 directly on the heat-sink.
If the PCB is not needed for DCC then there would be more airspace around the DCC assembly.
Edo
BTW I do understand about the lights.

The blue wire has nothing to do with sound functions. I use the Micro-Tsunami and standard Tsunami. The blue wire is the positive voltage of any light functions only. The Function outputs are negative voltage.
If you are not sure of the PC board, remove it and hard wire. Make sure you have a multimeter to check connections. I do that with all my decoder installs.
Don't remove the shrink and heat sink. You void the warranty. The Tsunami has the heat sink for a good reason.
If you check the motor current at twelve volts DC with the drivers slipping, you can find out what the current draw is. I do know my Spectrum's draw about 450 ma and the Micro-Tsunami is good for 750 ma. I use the Micro in my steamers and the standard in my diesels.

Take some time to download the documents form the Soundtraxx site. They will save you from some grief.

Rich

Edo

Take some time to download the documents form the Soundtraxx site. They will save you from some grief.

Rich

Thanks Rich.  I have re-read the Soundtaxx docs. Appreciate the clarification on the blue wire. This week my little engineer should have his 'bells and whistles'.
I have already performed the stall tests, etc...
Edo

richg

That is good to hear. Did not know your level of DCC experience and the little dudes and dudettes do not like it when the trains do not run correctly.

Rich

Edo

Thanks to you gentleman I now have a very happy 5-year-old-engineer!!!
The hardest part was reconciling the Bachmann schematic with the actual wiring. Using red wire for both the left and right power did not help:-(  Some where I saw the blue wire referred to as 'Lights Common' which makes more sense. But it does add functionality to the lighting system. While 'inside' I added a 3mm LED to the tender for backup.Now to learn how to change CVs with the DCS-50............
Next project convert an old Athearn F7A to DCC.

Jim Banner

An old Athearn F-7 is a perfect example of a place to use half wave lighting.  If you leave the headlight connected as is, the full DCC voltage will be applied to it.  This is around 16 volts which will give the 12 volt bulb a short life, just long enough to melt the plastic around the nose of the locomotive.  If you run the existing headlight off the blue and white decoder wires, it will receive about 12 volts but you will have a difficult job isolating the bulb from its mounting.  But if you wire it for half wave by leaving the shell of the base connected to the locomotive frame through the mounting bracket and soldering the white wire to the tip of the base, then the bulb will be on for only one half of the DCC waveform and will receive only about 8.5 volts.  At that voltage, it will not melt the plastic but it will give lots of light and last about forever (about 5 years of continuous operating time.)

Jim

Edo

Hi Jim,
I kinda jumped the gun.
A few months ago I opened the shell and found not much in there.
It was purchased used. I added a LED with resistor and it now has the best headlight on the 'road - quite bright - no heat. Since there is both an A & B unit there will be plenty of room for sound.  It runs really great on DC.
I am still trying to change the Loco number of the UP 2-8-0 - the DCS50 is refusing to operate a programming track:-((
Will try again tonight..........
Edo

Jim Banner

People using the DCS50 usually program their Tsunamis on the main using Ops mode programming.  However, changing a four digit address or changing from a two digit to a four digit address requires some special manipulation.  Partly it is that you have to have the decoder in 2 digit address mode while you do it.  And partly it is that you have to offset the address by C000 hex (49152 base 10.)  This is well explained starting on page 14 in this manual:

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsutechreference.pdf

You do not need to know hex notation to use the instructions. 

A partial workaround is to put a consisting address in CV19.  This has to be a two digit address.  Just program the number straight into CV19 with no offset.  To make the functions all work with the consisting address, program 255 into both CV21 and CV22.  More on this is available in the above manual on pages 16 through 19.

I have been changing Tsunami CV's with a DCS50 but I don't remember if I have ever changed a Tsunami's address with one.  For final programming, including changing the address, I usually use a DSC200 because I have it connected to Decoder Pro which lets me record all the CV values for future reference.

The DSC50 has one more trick up its sleeve, but not in its manual.  That is a programming mode usually referred to as "blast mode."  Basically, it works for all four programming modes (Physical, Direct, Page and Operations) but applies full booster output to the programming track.  Because it internally switches the programming track to the booster output rather than the low level programming output, there is no feedback from the decoder.  If the Ops mode outlined above does not work for you, let me know and we can go further into blast mode.  I prefer not to give any details until I have had a chance to review how it works and to try it out on one of my own Tsunamis.

Jim

Edo

OK Jim,
After many unsuccessful hours I tried a Bachmann DCC switcher. I added a 1K Ohm resistor across the prog track  and after several tries I was able to change the Loco number from 3 to 7. Still unable to Read from any ADDR.
Initially I should stay with two digit address and only use a single digit Loco ID.
Ken can handle the single digits without a problem.
Presently SP Steam on one, Santa Fe diesel on two, 2-8-0 Tsunami still on 3 and Switcher on 7 (part of road number).
Looks like 'blast mode' may be needed.
I faxed the problem to Digitrax on the 12th - awaiting response.

Ed

Edo

Today, using Ops programming I have been able to change the Chuff rate and the whistle selection.
Cannot READ any of the CVs or change the Loco number.