News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 and Sound

Started by steveeusd, May 14, 2007, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

In reading the description of the Spectrum 2-8-0, I get the impression that sound only works under DCC.  Is this correct?  Or will the loco generate sound under DC with a special device?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

lanny

Hi Steve,

Though I run DC/Analog, I'm pretty sure that you would have to be running DCC to hear Spectrum sound.

I have a couple BLI locomotives that have 'limited' sound using a special device wired in line with the DC power pack.

I also had, at one time, an Athearn and a Lionel Challenger, both with sound for DC. But I think the main thing to remember is that anything that has sound on DC will be very limited in what sounds you can get.

However, I don't think Spectrum DCC will allow you to get sound from DC power using any kind of 'controller' (sorry Mr. Bach-man if I am wrong about this).

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bojangle

MRC has a "black box" that will let you hear all  the sounds on the dual mode encoder using your DC controller, has its own throttle direction etc. Haven't found a price on it yet, need to go to modelrectifier.com.  They also have a sound module and wireless transmitter for a DCC ready loco.  They predicted everyone would be jumping to DCC, but there are many who still prefer DC.  Unfortunately, I also predict that the factories will one day quit making DC and shove DCC down our throats. That's why I'm buying DCC equipped locos now that will still run on my DC ok with no mods.
Good luck

Bo

Hunt

Quote from: steveeusd on May 14, 2007, 05:32:25 PM
In reading the description of the Spectrum 2-8-0, I get the impression that sound only works under DCC.  Is this correct?  Or will the loco generate sound under DC with a special device?
Your impression is not correct if you are referring to the DCC Sound On Board Spectrum 2-8-0. You get limited sounds when using a DC power pack.

QuoteI'm pretty sure that you would have to be running DCC to hear Spectrum sound.
lanny
Lanny... Wrong guess.

Hunt

Quote from: Bojangle on May 14, 2007, 11:56:49 PM
MRC has a "black box" that will let you hear all  the sounds on the dual mode encoder using your DC controller, has its own throttle direction etc. Haven't found a price on it yet, need to go to modelrectifier.com.  They also have a sound module and wireless transmitter for a DCC ready loco.  ...
Bo
What does what you have posted have to do with Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 and Sound ?

Bojangle

Hunt: I'm just quoting an ad on the back of the June Model Railroader. It says "compatible with Athearn, Atlas, LIfelike, Bachmann, Mth and more".  As for the module, it says
"If you own a DCC ready loco with a connector but no sound on board, you can plug in this DC sound module.   Hunt, I don't make this stuff up, only passing along available information.  If the information in the ad is incorrect, please don't jump on me about it.     
Bo

Hunt

Bo,
Yes, I know MRC sells a system for installation in most DCC ready HO steam locomotives that will provide a few on-board sounds using DC power pack.

Now back to my question -- What does what you have posted have to do with Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 and Sound?

Bojangle

Please read my first post again.  MRC  has a "Black Box" that they claim will let  you hear all the sounds on ANY SOUND EQUIPPED LOCO without using DCC.  How much more relativity do you need.?   I mainly was referring to the Black Box, not necessarily their sound module. 
http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=7739
I just checked their website...
Apparently is being announced for future delivery, so I was in error in saying
"They had it".......Pardon me for making a mistake, it is a human failing.
Bo

Hunt

Quote from: Bojangle on May 15, 2007, 01:00:17 AM
Please read my first post again.  MRC  has a "Black Box" that they claim will let  you hear all the sounds on ANY SOUND EQUIPPED LOCO without using DCC.  How much more relativity do you need.?   I mainly was referring to the Black Box, not necessarily their sound module.
Bo
OK, I did not realize you were mainly referring to MRC’s Black Box.

You linked to the wrong product think you are talking about http://www.modelrectifier.com/train-controls/dc-power-MRC-Blackbox.asp

I have not seen thus have not had a chance to test MRC’s BlackBox.  MRC does not have a very good track record with me in living up to their advertisement claims and are at the bottom of any of my DCC and related product lists.  But I will give them credit… they keep trying.  ;)

lanny

Hunt,

Thanks for correcting me. I don't read 'advertisements' much so 'assumed' the wrong thing about Bachmann 'sound' locomotives.

Now my question is, if I purchase a Spectrum 'DCC on board' with 'sound', do I also need to get some sort of controller (such as the BLI controller that has to be wired 'inline' with the power pak) in order to get whatever sound is available for DC control? (Or is Bachmann following Athearn and sending a DC sound controller, with the locomotive?)

I use an MRC 'Control Master II' and an MRC 'Control Master 20'. Each of these has a BLI sound (whistle, bell) controller wired inline to control the sound on my one BLI Mikado ... even though I could get the sound without the BLI controller.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bojangle

Lanny:  Since you directed your question to Hunt, I won't get involved, except to say you might check out the links posted above.  Then you can draw your own conclusions about the MRC Black Box or other devices. 
Good luck
Bo

Hunt

Hi Lanny,
To date Bachmann does not have or provide a function only controller to be used with a DCC sound equipped locomotive being run with a DC power pack. I do not know if the BLI function controller you have will work with a Bachmann sound decoder.

Check around... you can find a Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center (Bachmann's DCC command center unit) for just a few dollars more than MRC's Black Box.

Thinking about the few MRC decoders I have tested... I find it kind of amusing that Micro-Mark ad for the MRC Black Box states, "Works with any dual-mode NMRA-conformant decoder."  :D

(I have removed the part of my answer that was in this paragraph. Although the information removed is accurate, I decided the Bachmann Board is not an appropriate place for revealing such information about MRC’s products.)

If it were my money and time, I would be evaluating DCC systems that can program CVs so I can use the full capabilities of any decoder and independently control two or more trains simultaneously. Entry level DCC systems now cost less than $200.

Bojangle

Mark Damien

Hi All,

I just received my MRC Black Box & connected it to my Bachmann Magnum controller.
I never knew there were so many sounds in a Bachmann Forney, Heavy Mountain & 2-10-2.
As you would expect, it also works great on dual mode DC/DCC LL, BLi, PCM Athearn & Roundhouse locos.
Apart from accessing all the sounds, switching the lights on & off & throttle, when the Reverse button is pressed the loco slows to a stop, changes direction [toots three times - on some locos] & accelerates off in the opposite direction - very civilised.

BUT, YOU CAN'T USE IT on DC locos! - they just sit there & sing insect songs buzz buzz.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark