News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what is On21/2?

Started by Royce Wilson, April 29, 2010, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Why is it that Model Railroader refers to On30 as On21/2? and when they refer to HOn2/1/2 they refer it as HOn30?..are they trying to confuse people. >:(

Royce Wilson

Anubis

It's the same here in Australia.  ;)

Most of our leading Model Railway magazines also refer to "On30" as "On2 1/2".

This, I assume, is to bring it into line with "foot" measurements, rather than "inch" measurements.

By example, we all refer to the next scale upwards as "On3" rather than "On36", don't we?

I still think On2 1/2 doesn't SOUND right, and it is definitely much more difficult to pick out on the keyboard.....especially since we lost the "fraction" keys all those years ago.... ;D

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

railtwister

Hi Royce,

Relax, it's not just between On2-1/2 and On30. The other day, while looking on the web for information about railroad banana cars, I came across a web site that described the two major railroad gauges used in Honduras as 1.067 meters and .914 meters. Doing the math, I saw that they were talking about 42" and 36" gauges, respectively.

Besides, the On30 vs. On2.5 thing has already been beat to death on all the groups, including this one. I'd say if this is all we have to complain about, we must be doing pretty good, don't you think?

Cheers,
Bill

C.S.R.R. Manager

The guys at Model Railroader are trying to be consistent, and state the number after the small "n" in feet, not inches, like they do with On2 for 2 foot and On3 for 3 feet.  But it can be confusing.

For me, all of my Bachmann shiny green boxes say On30, the NMRA calls it On30, and it's called the On30 Conspiracy, Finescale On30, just plain On30 on Yahoo, etc.  Case closed.  Most On30 types don't pay too much attention to MR anyway.

And I think the discrepancy is consistent with the attitude of most On30 train guys anyway, somewhat inconsistent, a bit inexact, and fairly relaxed.  In fact, it's not even 30" between the HO rails in 1:48, but something like 31.17", just odd enough to keep the rivet counters out of the clubhouse.

manager

Jim Banner

The guys at the NMRA notwithstanding, I think we are all intelligent enough to realize that 0n30 is not 30 foot gauge.  If we want to be picky, we could discuss for hours whether it should be written 0n30 rather than 0n30 or On30.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Royce Wilson

My question is: Why does MR not be of help with this issue?  they are in a position to do this..do they not want to enter the 21 century? ???

Royce Wilson

tac

Here in UK they call it 016.5 and 009...

The UK 0 scale narrow gauge on H0 gauge track and 00/H0 narrow gauge on 9mm [n gauge] track.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

d. calloway

Royce, I am Like some of the others with Model Railroader!!  They know better!!! On30 is fine to use but they choose not to. Since I have switched scales, I have canceled my subscription with them.It was always about the mega railroads, well, most of the time anyway. It is easy for some of the new modelers to get started with the On30 because they can use H.O. scale track and switch over to "narrow gauge" track later. Nice really. The added confusion of On2 1/2 is not needed!!    Dwayne Calloway

Ken

Better change history as Baldwin specification (also many other engine builders)shown gauge as 2FT 6in rather then 30in gauge. Most listing of 30In gauge are
mining locomotives. On30 was a  Bachmann choice rather then the real world of
Railroad's which are either 2FT 6In or 76 cm.

Ken

Broken Shay

MR is in it's own little world and has very little to do with NG, so when I discovered On30 (not On2 1/2) I canceled my MR subscription  and now pick up the NGSL that is much more in tune with what I want to do.  MR is dedicated to the mainline RR with an ocasionial blurb about NG. NGSL is 100% NG, so that is where I chose to spend my $$. I understand that folks who do mainline stuff would have very little interest in NGSL and that's fine. 

My 2cents

John

Royce Wilson

I only thumb thru the MR magazine at the local grocery store while the wife is shopping. Railroad model craftsman gets my money instead, they seem to have gotten past this problem and they also produce the On30 annual.

;DRoyce Wilson

OGReditor

On30 is pretty much the standard reference these days.  MR is just trying to be consistent (with their other designations) and, to an extent, resistant.  But they are pretty much alone in that regard, since the vast majority of the modeling world goes with On30 (and properly so, in my opinion).

d. calloway

Royce,  Good nod on the On30 gazette!! ;)   DC

ScottyB

Quote from: Broken Shay on May 03, 2010, 12:30:46 PM
MR is in it's own little world and has very little to do with NG, so when I discovered On30 (not On2 1/2) I canceled my MR subscription  and now pick up the NGSL that is much more in tune with what I want to do.  MR is dedicated to the mainline RR with an ocasionial blurb about NG. NGSL is 100% NG, so that is where I chose to spend my $$. I understand that folks who do mainline stuff would have very little interest in NGSL and that's fine. 

My 2cents

John

Ditto here.  MR seems to be repeat the same "how-to"s every few months or so.  It is frustrating to page through.  It was discouraging to see all the "mega layouts" and try to figure out where to start and how much this was going to cost.  Thank goodness I found On30.  The Gazette is about the best magazine out there.  There is even the occasional standard gauge layout (thus the short line part of the title.)

RMC also has some great modeling tips, but I let my subscription expire.  After paging through some back issues though, I am seriously considering resubscribing.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.