News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What will happen if I....

Started by Michael T., May 01, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

I don't have one, but my friend does.  If you mean by giving them numbers as in assigning them to control just one train when multiple are on the track, no unfortunately it does not.  It is just a standard DCC powerpack like any other, with a on/off power button, and outputs for DC and AC accessories.  Hope this helps.

Michael T.

So when you turn the speed nob do all of the engines go the same speed?
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Michael T. on May 04, 2010, 06:54:17 PM
So when you turn the speed nob do all of the engines go the same speed?
If they all go the same speed, then yes. Its just like if you were to put two engines on the same track you have now, if you mean like that.

Guilford Guy

Your engines all have similar insides. The wheels pick up voltage from the rails and bring it to the motor which turns causing the locomotive to move. The powerpack in question has enough amperage to power many locomotives, which would all be picking up the same current from the track, and the motor would move at whatever rate it does at that current. You can't individually control locomotives without installing special electronics inside the locomotives so that they can recognize specific commands given by a special power station/control system. DCC is essentially this, where a command is sent through the rails to a decoder in the locomotive which decodes the message only for that address and can tell the motor to turn only in that locomotive.
Alex

Michael T.

Well does that controller have something that can give engines codes for them? I have 1 DCC train and one DC train.

ABC

The controller is not a DCC system, therefore it cannot operate two locos simultaneously at separate speeds on the same block while another sits idle for instance.

Jim Banner

Micheal T,
I think Blink_182_Fan's post above may be confusing the issue.  What he said was this:

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on May 04, 2010, 06:04:12 PM.  ... It is just a standard DCC powerpack like any other, with a on/off power button, and outputs for DC and AC accessories...

I believe he meant to say "It is just a standard dc powerpack ...

You need a DCC system if you want to address your one DCC locomotive separately from your dc locomotive.  But if you want it to run both locomotives, it has to be a DCC system that will also run a dc (analogue) locomotive in addition to DCC locomotives.  Not all DCC systems will do that.

If running two or more locomotives at the same time while controlling them separately is your ultimate goal, putting a decoder into your dc locomotive to make it a DCC locomotive would be a better way than running one locomotive on dc and the other one on DCC.  Even if you cannot do this right now, it is something to aim for in the future.

In the meantime, enjoy running your locomotives one at a time or double headed (coupled together.)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

No, the Railpower is a regular power pack which puts electricity on the track but cannot run locomotives independently.  All locos on a section (block) of track will go the same direction and at more or less the same speed, depending on how closely matched the locos are.  I would expect that several units of the same type coupled together would work quite well.

--D

Michael T.

Do you think this will be the right thing for me now and in the future? It can run 9 DCC trains and 1 analog train. It can also handle DCC trains with sound on board.

http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Command-Digital-Controller/dp/B0006KSOA2

ABC

It's alright, but only you can determine what the right system for you is, if you like changing CVs, I'd suggest a more advanced system though. Also, although it can run one analog DC loco, it makes a buzzing noise when you operate it or even let it sit idle. There is a potential risk of ruining your loco if you leave it idle on the track, the longer it sits on live track the better the chances something will happen to it. Also, some people say just running their DC loco with the E-Z Command has adverse effects on their loco. But, it is the cheapest system on the market and not a big investment, so if you change your mind it won't be a huge loss.

Michael T.

Well I only have 1 DC loco and I do not use it that much. I also do not need the best of the best controller.

Joe323

Yes you can program up to 10 address (9 Digital 1 Analog) with EZ Command. However you will need the 5 amp power booster sold separately if you ant to run more then 2 or 3 locos at a time, or if you have a very large layout.

The Analog loco will buzz and run hot especially when standing still So unless you plan on running it continuously, I would not leave it on the track as you could burn the motor out. Remember with DCC the track is always at full power even if nothing is operating.

Michael T.

ABC

Nope, that is just a standard DC power source.
This is a booster:

E-Z Command® 5 Amp Power Booster
Product Information
Our 5 amp power booster provides extra current to track for an increased number of DCC locomotives on your HO, N, O, or Large Scale layout.
Price: $305.00
Product Code: 44910

Michael T.

Can't the E-Z command control system handle 10 engines by itself? Actually 9 because after what you guys told me about the buzzing with the analog train I won't put it on the track that much.