News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What will happen if I....

Started by Michael T., May 01, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimer

The basic EZ Command system only has a 1 amp power supply.  You could comfortably run two or maybe three trains at one time.  Anything more than that is going to ask for more power than EZC can provide.  So EZC can control a total of 10 trains...it just can't make them all go at once.  The booster provides 5 amps for running trains.  Hope this helps.

Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

The E-Z Command can only run 3 newer DCC locos without sound that don't draw too much. If you are running a DC loco, you can only run 2 locos including the DC loco at the same time. If you add the 5 amp booster, you can run about 8 locos at the same time, although I have done 10 once just for the heck of it.
If your loco has sound it will draw additional current, and then you are limited to 2 locos.

Jim Banner

The Bachmann E-Z Command is a decent starter set.  The only CV's that it can program are address and normal direction of travel.  The latter is useful when you want to run locomotives back to back.  It allows the second locomotive run backwards when you tell it forward, and vise versa.

Locomotives that come with decoders already in them are normally programmed for the best operation of that locomotive. If you have somebody install a decoder for you, they normally adjust it for proper operation.  But if you install your own decoders, you may have to get some help with programming the decoder or you may be happy with the way it runs already.

You will likely want to add a booster if you want to run more than 3 locomotives at the same time.  It depends on how much power your locomotives draw which in turn depends on train length, track grade, motor efficiency and locomotive accessories such as lights.  A large layout does not require a booster just because it is bigger.  If you can run three trains without a booster on a small layout, you can run those same three trains without a booster on a large layout.  What you will need is adequate wiring for the larger layout.  Worry about that problem when the time comes.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michael T.

Is there a less costly booster then?
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

ABC

Quote from: Michael T. on May 05, 2010, 01:13:59 PMIs there a less costly booster then?
Here's what I'd do if I were you, stick with the E-Z Command System and don't worry about a booster until you've built a layout with four mainlines. Boosters are pretty dear, but I expect with time the price will go down. Most boosters are about $175+ from your local hobby shop, there might be one or two cheaper, but they are still about $150.

Michael T.

I finally started on building my first layout!!!

Guilford Guy

It doesn't have enough amperage to support that many locomotives running. Even the digitraxx zephyr can't handle more than 4 or 5, and that's a more advanced system than the EZ Command.
Alex

Joe323

Wow the booster IS expensive $213.50 at Toy Train Heaven.  Guess I won't be buying it anytime soon.

Doneldon

That Bachmann booster is terribly expensive, even considering no one pays the MSRP.  You can buy a more versitile and more powerful whole new DCC system for less than yopu'd pay for the five amp booster.  You might also be able to use someone else's booster but I don't want to mention any "enemy" names on this board.

--D

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Jim Banner on May 05, 2010, 12:21:45 AM
Micheal T,
I think Blink_182_Fan's post above may be confusing the issue.  What he said was this:

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on May 04, 2010, 06:04:12 PM.  ... It is just a standard DCC powerpack like any other, with a on/off power button, and outputs for DC and AC accessories...

I believe he meant to say "It is just a standard dc powerpack ...

You need a DCC system if you want to address your one DCC locomotive separately from your dc locomotive.  But if you want it to run both locomotives, it has to be a DCC system that will also run a dc (analogue) locomotive in addition to DCC locomotives.  Not all DCC systems will do that.

If running two or more locomotives at the same time while controlling them separately is your ultimate goal, putting a decoder into your dc locomotive to make it a DCC locomotive would be a better way than running one locomotive on dc and the other one on DCC.  Even if you cannot do this right now, it is something to aim for in the future.

In the meantime, enjoy running your locomotives one at a time or double headed (coupled together.)

Jim

Whoops, I meant to say DC. Good eye Jim.  :) I'm almost positive that the Railpower 1370 can power up to 5 engines. I can't remember where I read that, might have been on a sale website, or it was on here.  Either way, its a very good and reliable power pack. ;)