News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cleaning 2-8-0 Axles

Started by Irbricksceo, December 25, 2013, 01:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Alright, so a while ago I mentioned a 2-8-0 that wouldn't move. Well I finally got around to taking it apart and found the problem almost instantly, the axles have some kind of fiber/thread/hair wraped around them, almost like the previous owner ran them on a dog!anyway, it is tough to get them off (i have removed the wheels from the Loco Frame) I was wondering if anyone has discovered some trick to cleaning it up. If I can get it working, I'll just disregard the broken pilot truck and Use it as an 0-8-0.
Modeling NYC in N

AGSB

I would go at it with a pair of tweezers and an Exacto knife with a new blade. Be extremely careful not to cut too deep into the build up so you don't scratch/score the axle and worsen the problem. Cutting the top of the build up may release enough of the crud to be able to grab it with the tweezers and work the rest free. Relubricate the axle, not too much, more is not better, and see how it runs.

Irbricksceo

I'll give that a go, I honestly have no idea what the previous owner did to get this much in there, the axles are covered, the main rod/connecting rod joint has some, even the gear seems to! No wonder it wouldn't run!
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on December 25, 2013, 02:26:58 PM
I'll give that a go, I honestly have no idea what the previous owner did to get this much in there, the axles are covered, the main rod/connecting rod joint has some, even the gear seems to! No wonder it wouldn't run!

Probably laid the track on carpet.  THE biggest no-no ever!  Just go slow and steady on the clean-up.  Best of luck.

Br 98.75

The drive(its rubber a band with notches in it
) band may be broken or slipping

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: rogertra on December 25, 2013, 05:59:12 PM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on December 25, 2013, 02:26:58 PM

Probably laid the track on carpet.  THE biggest no-no ever!  Just go slow and steady on the clean-up.  Best of luck.

I used to run model trains on carpet (using track with roadbed) and never had problems with picking up carpet fiber. I had more issues with cat hair on the tracks when I had a trainboard.

Irbricksceo

Well, I got everything out, at least all I could see. Unfortunately, It is still not running. The motor runs fine but when assembled, one of two things happens. either the motor spins because the worm failed to catch the axle gear, or the whole thing does nothing. Since the wheels are still not free turning, it is definitely in there. Having taken off all the rods, cleaning each axle individually, and then reassembling, I don't know if there is anything else I can do. I am seriously considering calling it a lost cause. the cleaning helped but no dice. On top of that, the valve gear kinda flops around with the expansion link (I think that is what it is called) having about 225 degrees of rotation while it should have closer to 25-30. That started when i got all the stuff out of the rod. So yeah, i took a step back from it because if there is one thing i learned, it is never good to do this work while frustrated, It leads to mistakes.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on December 27, 2013, 08:55:22 AM
I used to run model trains on carpet (using track with roadbed) and never had problems with picking up carpet fiber. I had more issues with cat hair on the tracks when I had a trainboard.

261-

Leave the track power on a few nights and let a mouse go in the basement. Kitty will
learn right away that a trainboard is not a feline friendly place.
                                                                                                 -- D