News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Berkshire Comparison

Started by ebtbob, May 18, 2010, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 24, 2010, 12:26:43 AMWhy am I not surprised you came up with an e-bay listing of a used item? The market is not controlled by e-bay.
True, the item is "used", but from the picture I couldn't see any problems or issues. I was just saying if you wanted a P2K 2-8-4, the cheapest avenue seems to be ebay at this stage. The Walthers price was $365 for DC and $410 for DCC w/ sound. From other online retailers it was formerly available for around $300 DC.
On Walthers, the Bachmann 2-8-4 is $175 and from other online retailers they are about $130.

jonathan

Just tried a #5 kadee coupler in the Berk tender.  It's a tight fit.  The coupler will not center in one direction (probably mangled the spring a bit).  At the next opportunity, I will try a #148 (whisker spring).  Bet I'll have better luck with that.

Regards,

Jonathan

jlg759

I just got the MTH unit Sunday and it is a great locomotive. I am not sure I like all the talkingit does but it's cute when children visit the layout.  Here is my question I have 2 of the Bauchman 2-8-4's and would like to instakll sound in them has anyone done that? Also will they run better on DCC if the decoder was changed. From different things I have read the decoders in them are very cheeply made.

Joe

ABC

Yea, I'd go with a decoder with bemf, it should run considerably better. And the tender has holes drilled for a speaker and a 8-pin plug, so it is nearly plug and play.

jonathan

I started putting my Berk through its paces.

Locomotive is quiet and smooth.  Only sound is the wheels on rails.  That's normal.  No binding nor jerkiness. No headlight flicker.  Operated well in forward and reverse during break in (no derailments).  #148 coupler in the tender works OK, although I may have to file just a bit to be able to close the draft gear box completely (coupler is a touch thicker than the EZMate).

There's seems to be a tiny bit of drag in the rear most wheelset on the tender.  Not bad, but I could ream out the journal, if it starts to bother me.  Could be the pick up brush is a little tight.

On my layout, the Berk looks much larger than I imagined.  I'm glad I didn't choose a larger locomotive.  Even with 24" radius curves, I'm maxed out on appearance.  It handles my 22" radius loop well, but looks a little too big around the curves.  Opinions will vary on that aspect.

I was able to pull 23 cars before wheel slippage.  That was on a little steeper than 1% grade on the mainline.  The locomotive has to deal with a grade and curves with a train that long.  I tried bullfrog snot on my old metal engines, and that tripled the pulling capacity on those engines.  Don't want to overtax the motor, but I think an application to one drive wheel will get the locomotive over 30 cars quite easily.  The grade area is short. On level track, I'm sure the Berk could pull twice what I was able to pull.

I still need to check the speed against my Connies to see if double-heading is a possibility.  Lord knows I don't want to consider a second Berk.  ;D

Overall, a great locomotive.  With just a little tweaking, this could be the flagship for my layout.  She'll get an engineer and fireman shortly.

I know ebtbob is through studying for now, but someone else out there may be considering this locomotive.  So, here's a little more input for the record.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtbob

jlg759,

If you want to put sound in one of your other Berks then get the Tsunami heavy steam decoder.   The chuff on that decoder is a staccato type bark that many of the Berks had,  especially the NKP Berks.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

First of all,  thankyou all for your input even if the thread did get a bit off track,  pardon the expression.   I guess my final analsys is that you cannot go wrong with either Berk,  supposing you can find the Proto version anymore.
        Interestingly enough,   my search for a Berk can be put on hold now that I have my Precision Craft Reading T-1 back and running.   I had a problem with the engine shorting out every time it tried to negotiate a right hand turn.   After spending many months with my repair man,  I took the engine home,  reassembled it,  and the thing runs great!    My only regret is I have no idea why.
         One thing I did learn from a friend about the T-1.   Inside the smoke box front is a small PC board that has some exposed lands that can touch metal.   By unscrewing and removing the board and covering the lands with Kapton tape,  the problem  of shorting can be resolved.
        So,  with the 2118 up and running the Berk is on hold.   Gotta go,  steam pressure is up and I have a coal train to get on down the main.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

jonathon -

It sounds like you got a great Berk.  Good for you.  Isn't it a real pleasure to watch a quality model like that pulling trains on track?  That's what it's all about if you ask me.

--D

jonathan

Bob,

Glad you got your T-1 running.  Wish I could run a monster like that on my layout.

D,

A pleasure indeed.

Sometimes I feel like I'm leading a charmed life. After reading so many posts from folks who have had issues with their Bachmann locos, I keep wondering when I'm going to get one that has issues.  Hasn't happened, yet--just a little hiccup here and there that was easily adjusted.  My Standard and Spectrum locos are all awesome.  Perhaps it's the extensive pre-inspection I do before a loco ever makes it to the rails.

It's a wonder more things don't go wrong.  I started counting all the little parts in my Berk... had to stop at 239 (got bored).   For the price, I feel like we get a real bargain.  Does anybody pay retail anymore? 

I understand I could spend a few hundred extra dollars and get some amazing detail with all kinds of bangs and whistles.  I would be afraid to run those trains for fear of breaking something.  They'd end up on display.  I have a feeling, once the kids are gone, the attraction for brass will be too strong to resist.  Until then, I will run my trains with some pretty reliable stuff.

Must be getting past my bed time, I'm starting to ramble.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

I've been busy lately, but took a look at this thread, and thought these links would be of interest, especially after reading Donaldon's comments about 2-8-4s that were front and top on that curve!

These are from photo charters, with steam-era cars at the head end for the photos and a fill-out of modern cars to give the engine something to work against--which is a way of getting the locomotive to make more noise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d550S68EpBw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3L0I6sJ_cU&feature=related

Excursion action on the C&O, starring the 765 as itself and in disguise as a C&O K-4, and a couple of friends, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIS3DM-5Usk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_57c1vA_g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-8xMA7JjjA&feature=related

Wouldn't it be wonderful to really duplicate that sound?  To properly duplicate the smoke would be a challenge--it has such an animated, lively effect that doesn't scale down.  Of course, running something like this would soon make the air in the typical basement unbreathable! 

I'd like to contact Mr. Peabody about the use of his Way Back Machine to check out the railroad action Hollywood missed in "Pleasantville."