News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turntable Motor

Started by jonathan, May 19, 2010, 01:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

A gallows turntable is normally supported at the middle.  A nice example of a model one is at this link:

http://www.bigriverlines.com/Modelmaker/Big_River_Lines_site/BRRR/BRR_Concept/Turntable/Turntable.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jonathan

Jim and Edo,

I really like your idea.  It's way past my skills.  I researched some layout photos for ideas, and I found a lot of folks like the gallows bridge.  It seems to require a lot of precise kit bashing and scratch building.  Plus, wouldn't it be very era specific?  Just asking.  I don't know.

I'm just happy to cover up the wood and plastic:

CNE Runner

Jonathan - I like what you have done to the Atlas turntable...really looks great. It is difficult to believe that the 'motor shack' is the same, gray chunk of plastic that comes with the motor assembly.

You could fill in the siding and use some Paper Creek overlays to completely change the era, and look, of the building. Unfortunately there is little room, on a micro layout, to have a turntable like yours. We can construct one out of an old CD or use the Kibri 4-position unit.

Your layout is really looking sharp.
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jim Banner

I suspect the gallows bridge was contemporary with wooden bridges like the Howe truss etc., built at a time when wood was cheap and steel was expensive.  As locomotives became longer and heavier, wooden bridges out on the line were replaced by steel to carry more weight at higher speeds and turntables were enlarged and their bridges replaced to handle the longer, heavier locomotives.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.