Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

Got my 2-6-6-2 today and ran it in DC mode with 12 loaded 55 ton coal hoppers
Runs well and the sound is great

It came with a small printed circuit chip
I can't find any info ( at least that I can see ) on what it is for

Any help appreciated

richg

If it has sound like you say, the "chip" is really a SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder with "chips", called IC's or Integrated Circuits.
There are no circuit diagrams for these decoders. Manufacturers do not want to give away details of their products. Don't even try asking the company.
If you are good with a magnifier, ohm meter and 'Scope  you "might" figure out a little of the decoder.

Rich

Jim Banner

To add to what Rich has said, even if you did figure out the circuit and built a duplicate using all the many "chips" that go into a decoder, your circuit still would not work because you would not have any programming in the microprocessor.  The chances of the company giving away that information is exactly the sum of zero, none, nada and zilch.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

uncbob

I should have added that the chip is not installed but comes loose and looking at it closely it may be some kind of connector ?

I don't know what it is for since the engine runs without it in DC mode and has sound

Here is a pic

Jim Banner

I don't see any chips on this printed circuit board, although maybe there are some hidden on the other side.  What I do see looks a lot like a 21 pin DCC socket as used in Europe.  These were developed to accommodate more functions than just the head and rear lights of the NMRA 8 pin sockets.

The NMRA was studying a proposal for a 21 pin socket but I think that study is presently in limbo.  I am not sure if it was a matter that while the NMRA argued details, the European manufacturers went ahead with their own standards or whether the NMRA has finally realized that the N in their initials stands to "National," not "International" and while their standards are popular in the US, the other 97% of the world really doesn't care.

Even if this board is a connector board for a 21 pin decoder, the question still remains about what it was doing packed with your 2-6-6-2.  Maybe somewhere in Europe someone is asking why there is a board with an 8 pin connector packed with his new locomotive.

Jim

BaltoOhioRRfan

Could it be like with the DCC Locomotives that it is a conversion plug for DC operators?

Just a guess.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

uncbob

My others had small 3 pin jumpers and the showed how to install them

richg

Quote from: uncbob on May 23, 2010, 08:35:21 AM
I should have added that the chip is not installed but comes loose and looking at it closely it may be some kind of connector ?

I don't know what it is for since the engine runs without it in DC mode and has sound

Here is a pic

Ok, the question that begs asking, did you get this from a private seller?
Since we are in the HO forums, you must have a HO 2-6-6-2.
I have to assume this loco is a Bachmann because your first post is very sketchy. More details.
Photo of the other side of the PC board.
What kind of paper work with the loco?

I know of nothing like this from Bachmann, USA.

Just a guess, the loco might have a 21 pin decoder and this PC board, not a chip, could be the DC adapter from what little I see. I see two diodes and pads that "might" be for SMT resistors.
If you are brave, open the tender and take a picture of the decoder for us.

Rich

pdlethbridge

I think that was the chip that James Bond was looking for. :o :o :o :o :o :o

richg

I found this in the Product reference though it does not say sound. HO C&O 2-6-6-2 ARTICULATED

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H848Y-IS001.pdf

I see what looks like a 21 pin connector near the speaker. My new PCM with LokSound looks similar with the 21 pin connector. Bachmann has usually been pretty lame when it comes to documentation.
The diagram that comes with your loco should show something like this.

Rich

Jim Banner

The photo below is the Bachmann 21 pin decoder, part number 36-554, as sold in the UK.  Note the socket - it looks like it would mate with the plug on uncbob's pc board.  That board is looking more and more like an adapter plug which can be hardwired to the locomotive and plugged into the decoder plugged.  In that case, the four large solder points opposite the plug are probably the pickup and motor connections.

Jim

richg

Since he says he has sound, I am assuming the Tsunami comes like this. Yeah, I know about "assuming". The Tsunami is the only factory installed sound for Bachmann the last I heard.

Rich

Jim Banner

Rich, I understand that Bachmann's 21 pin European motion only decoder pictured above is made by ESU and that Bachmann is also using their LokSound decoders.

Jiim

uncbob

It is a Bachmann from a large Internet store H B Klein
New in Box
Item says D3800#PCB01 REV C
08/05/16

richg

Quote from: Jim Banner on May 23, 2010, 02:09:11 PM
Rich, I understand that Bachmann's 21 pin European motion only decoder pictured above is made by ESU and that Bachmann is also using their LokSound decoders.

Jiim
I have to agree with that. I thought he was in the USA where Bachmann uses the Tsunami or things are changing faster than I thought.

Below is a photo of the 21 pin LokSound in a diesel I recently purchased.

Rich