Where is Mr Bachmann he should know
I guess he is off Sundays

richg

Quote from: uncbob on May 23, 2010, 02:18:50 PM
It is a Bachmann from a large Internet store H B Klein
New in Box
Item says D3800#PCB01 REV C
08/05/16

Again, that is certainly news to me. Last I saw was Bachmann with the factory installed Tsunami.
Right now I cannot recall seeing any photos of Bachmann with factory installedTsunami sound. The diagrams do not show certain details.

Rich

Jim Banner

Does anyone know if the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 has simple engines or compound ones?  Or to put it another way, are the front cylinders the same size as the rear ones? 

Compound engines use the steam twice, first at high pressure the smaller front cylinders, then at lower pressure in the larger rear ones.  The two engines tend to synchronize themselves unless one or both slip.  Tsunami makes a steam decoder which mimics this.  It gives four chuffs per revolution except when an engine slips.  With an engine slipping, the engines go out of sync and you get more chuffs and at a higher rate.  But I don't think there is a Tsunami decoder for two simple, unsynchronized engines yet.  This has me wondering if perhaps Bachmann had to turn to LokSound for the right sound - eight chuffs per revolution slowly drifting in and out of sync.  Anyone who has ever heard a simple Mallet in real life would not/could not accept anything less in a decoder.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

He said in another forum the instruction manual that came with the loco says Tsunami.

Rich

Doneldon

Jim-

The Bachmann 2-6-6-2 was a Mallet, ergo compound.

--D

GN.2-6-8-0

Upon actually looking at both , the older version is a simpled engine (equal sized cylinders)
while the newer version with the VC tender is a compound (Mallet ) with the larger slide valve cylinders.
Rocky Lives

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on May 24, 2010, 01:20:34 AM
JThe Bachmann 2-6-6-2 was a Mallet, ergo compound.

Strictly speaking, Mallets were compounds.  But like so many terms that get corrupted, Mallet tends to be applied to any articulated locomotive, compound or simple.  It is rather like calling a locomotive an engine.  We know it is wrong but we still do it.

Do we know if uncbob's locomotive is simple or compound?

Jim

Doneldon

Kim-

I'm not so certain I agree.  All artics are not Mallets.  Just because some people mistakenly call all artics Mallets doesn't change that fact and it doesn't mean we should buy into the corrupted usage, either.

It's like on these Bachmann boards.  "There," "Their," and "They're" are used incorrectly all of the time -- like daily -- but it doesn't mean that folks who know how to use those words correctly should begin to use them randomly.

uncbob

Looks like a slide in the front and regular piston in the rear
Here she is in action
Short Version
http://bandb3536.com/video/2662s.AVI

Long boring version
http://bandb3536.com/video/2662.AVI

pdlethbridge

I always wondered, Is it a switch, or is it a turnout? Only your Ferroequinologist knows for sure.

ABC

I think the turnout is the actual piece of track whereas the switch is the "switch" used to throw the turnouts.

OlddManWithHO

You guys got SOUND???   Mine dont say anything about sound.  It's a C&O 2-6-6-2 Articulated Loco w/Vandy tender (part # 82625).  I've got a spare Tsunmi decoder (TSU-1000) for Medium Steam to put in it.  Is there a cam input for the decoder?

Roger

richg

Links from a Google search for C&O H-4 2-6-6-2

http://tinyurl.com/2dnsq75

Rich

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on May 25, 2010, 01:44:08 AM
  All artics (sic) are not Mallets.  Just because some people mistakenly call all artics (sic) Mallets doesn't change that fact and it doesn't mean we should buy into the corrupted usage, either.

Perhaps I should have been a little more precise.  I have never heard anyone call a Shay or a Bayer-Garret or a double Farlie a Mallet, even though they are articulated.  I have heard a Meyer referred to as a Mallet, even though the front engine is behind its drivers and both engines swivel but I suspect in this case it was the similarity of names that led to the mistake.  However, considering only those articulated locomotives where only the front engine swivels and where both engines have the cylinders in front of their drivers, I have heard both compound and simple versions referred to as Mallets, even by men who drove them.  Perhaps this arose because a number of these locomotives were originally built as true Mallets and later converted from compound to simple.  But to the men that drove them, once a Mallet, always a Mallet.  I suppose the best known example of these converted Mallets were the backward running cab forwards of the Southern Pacific.

Incidentally, I have never heard a railroader use the term artic in reference to a locomotive, only the homophone arctic in reference to that cold place up north.  I am guessing it is a corruption of articulated because I have not been able to locate a credible reference to it being a contraction of it.

Jim 

Doneldon

Jim-

I'm embarrassed.  So embarrassed.  While I have heard railroaders and model railroaders use the term "artic," (I grew up in a railroad family) I must confess that my using the term didn't come from that.  It stems from my having spent several years on a public advisory committee for the local transportation system where everyone called the articulated buses, yes, buses, "artics."  Oh, the woe.  I'll never make the mintake again.

--D