News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which turnout to use

Started by John Fed, April 18, 2024, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Fed

I am building a 2 loop layout on a 4x8 platform with an 18" radius inner loop and a 22" outer loop. I will purchase 2 left hand and 2 right hand turnouts to connect the loops and need help identifying which turnout to buy. My interest is the DCC type nickel silver with grey roadbed. Will the standard turnouts items #44130 and 44131 align properly so the 2 loops connect?  Thanks

Len

You can use one left and one right #6 crossover to do what you want. Something like this:

You could replace one, or more, inner straight sections with turnouts to create sidings or a yard.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Quote from: John Fed on April 18, 2024, 03:51:28 PMI am building a 2 loop layout on a 4x8 platform with an 18" radius inner loop and a 22" outer loop. I will purchase 2 left hand and 2 right hand turnouts to connect the loops and need help identifying which turnout to buy. My interest is the DCC type nickel silver with grey roadbed. Will the standard turnouts items #44130 and 44131 align properly so the 2 loops connect?  Thanks

I would strongly advise against the use of those two. Using them as a crossover between the two loops will leave you with a nasty S curve your trains will not like. And even if that weren't the case, they give an excessively wide track spacing. You're better off using  #5 or #6 for this. They are far less sharp of a curve, and have build in straight parts to lessen the effect of the s curve to something that most rolling stock will run through without derailing. The use of 18" radius curves in an S curve without a straight of at least 6 inches is a well known source of derailments, yet it is a mistake most beginners seem to be attracted to like moths to a candle.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

John Fed

Len and Jeffrey, thank you very much for your replies. Much appreciated!