News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New coal load - that project did go well!

Started by on30gn15, May 31, 2010, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Can't say for sure why this idea for a method of doing coal load, can only say it is the idea.

Here's hoping a picture is worth a thousand words.

Screen is copper mesh by K&S.

Won't much be using sound system as some of the frequencies hurt my ears (hypersensitivity to some senses goes along with some of my health troubles) although this will affect sound quality is something I wonder about.

Screen seemed simpler, cleaner, and faster than carving block of balsa or Styrofoam to shape.
There are probably other ways of securing charcoal to screen but classic white glue and matte medium method is the most familiar one and I have the most confidence about being able to control.

Got coal boards painted with Polly Scale SP Lettering Grey and Roof Brown.
Later will add charcoal over molded coal there at bottom - that molded coal only comes off with a saw and I'm not interested in doing that much work.

(hmm, pile is a little off to one side, want to fix that even though real live guys probably didn't get overly concerned about that)

Would expect it to take a couple days for all that matte medium the coal pile was soaked with to dry.
Hope it doesn't turn white.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Doneldon

The matte medium should dry clear and dull.  By the way, why not just paint a little matte medium on the coal at the bottom of the coal boards?  That will remove the shine and I don't think anyone will notice the larger chunks in that somewhat concealed location.